Hanging heavy curtains without drilling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a bit of an issue hanging a curtain pole and require some tips about finishing this project that my partner asked me to do 2 years ago... lol.

Basically, I drilled one of the sets of holes for 1 of 3 hooks above our front door (into what I assume was a lintel as it took forever to drill) a few months back, but it apparenty needs to be closer to the ceiling as she wants the curtains to cover the whole area and hold heat in. The problem is, that my stud/metal/wire detector picks up something metal above the door close to the ceiling where she wants me to drill and I am not comfortable doing so in case it's a gas or water pipe.

I did think about getting some industrial glue, glueing a batten above the door close to the ceiling and attaching the pole hooks to that, but I have read that Gorilla Glue and Sticks Like Sh*t glue will not hold heavy lined curtains, which these are.

Is there any way I can get around this? As you can see in the attached pic, it's not a large doorway, so maybe glue would work.

iLuozlL.jpg

Sponsored Links
Post a picture from outside please. There shouldn't be any pipes or electrics up there, and it may be a lintel of sorts though that should be above the door where you've been drilling. If you're going to use glue, then you'd need to take the paper of first obviously. You should be able to find a space between the ceiling and the door, that is free from any metal, and it may be she doesn't get her own way over this. But have you double checked the settings on your detector, and are you prepared (and capable) of knocking out the bit of plaster and brick, and checking to see if there's any metal there.

Thanks for the reply. I can't see what's on the other side as I live in a Bungalow and the roof starts it's overhang a few inches above the door on the other side. Tried going up into the attic, but it doesn't go anywhere near that area and short of ripping into that overhang, I can't see what there is on the other side. I didn't think there should be pipes, etc, but my stud/metal/wire detector goes ballistic whenever I lift it towards the ceiling. This is quite an old building, so I am unsure of what cowboys did what here. My last place just down the road was atrocious for stuff like this and had diagonal electric wires and bent/curved water pipes in the walls, a prehistoric electrical setup and the cooker wire was cemented into the concrete floor through 2 rooms and a hallway which gave the guy that installed my cooker nightmares as he had to replace it and rewire it into the house.
5Lo67Rg.jpg

Sponsored Links
Probably just the steel lintel you are picking up, fix to ceiling , should be a timber over that area or drill original position with hss bits or stick a timber in there with some Fixall.[Soudal]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back