Hardboard in an ensuite bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've recently put 3mm hardboard down on my upstairs floors just to take some of the uneveniness and ridges out of my old floorboards as I'm going to be laying carpet shortly.

My question is can I use the hardboard in my ensuite area (it's having vinyl fitted over the top) or will that potentially cause problems? If hardboard is any good is there anything else anyone can recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Sponsored Links
4mm WBP ply is stronger and is water resisitant.

If the bathroom is quite small you might consider talking up the old boards and reboarding it in 18mm WBP

robhayes said:
Hi all,

I've recently put 3mm hardboard down on my upstairs floors just to take some of the uneveniness and ridges out of my old floorboards as I'm going to be laying carpet shortly.

My question is can I use the hardboard in my ensuite area (it's having vinyl fitted over the top) or will that potentially cause problems? If hardboard is any good is there anything else anyone can recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Hardboard will be fine so long as you soak it before tacking to the floor (leave it to soak overnight) as you don't want it expanding when it is down :eek:
Also leave a 1/4" gap around edge and silicone around edge when the flooring is laid.
Ply is better though .

Sponsored Links
Good advice from JohnD. But if you decide to lay the hardboard anyway, just brush on plenty of water to the smooth side the day before you fit it. Lay it out flat whilst it's wet or it'll bend. Don't soak it as mentioned or you'll end up with weetabix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back