Hardboard versus Ply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a customer who would like to put Linoneum on her landing, the intial concern is that the floorboards are a uneven and I am considering putting either Hardboard or Ply down to give a more even base for the Lino. However, there are couple of issues that this raises with my self.

Firstly, the stairs i.e Treads and Rises currently have no covering and probably won't do for sometime, nor are they intending to use lino on the stairs.

Secondly, should I use a sheet material to make the floor more even, then the thickness of this sheet material alone will create problems in so far as the landing does not have balustrades therefore it doesn't have a base rail to go in to. What it does have is a nosing, which the floorboards but up to and forms part of the floor, which in turn covers the apron.

Putting a sheet material down will leave me with an open edge, which I could cover with, say, quadrant, but the open edge would also be apparent on the top tread, which can't be covered up with quadrant or anything for that matter. SORRY TO GO ON!

The only solutions I can think of is to either chamfer the edge of the sheet material at the point it lands on the nosing so the lino can fold over the top and under the mentioned nosings, or pull all the floorboards up and get ones that are all the same thickness or replace with ply. :D :?:

Sponsored Links
You could fill the small step at the edge of the sheet on the tread so that it doesn't leave a ridge in the flooring. Would have the same effect as feathering the edge of the sheet and be much quicker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back