Heat only boiler replacement question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm having a heat only boiler replacement and i just want to check if the the new one i have been quoted for is up to the job.
its replacing an old Potterton Netaheat 16/22 with a Worcester 18RI.

The question is, is the New 18kw powerful enough to replace an old boiler rated at 22kw output.

i have looked at the boiler calculator on the FAQ page that seems to come out at about 19kw, but i assume that is only a rough calculation.

The house is 4 bedrooms, bathroom + shower room total of 10 radiators. the old boiler heated the house fine until it died.

Alan.

Sponsored Links
The question is, is the New 18kw powerful enough to replace an old boiler rated at 22kw output.
You've also got to take into account the assumed water temperature and size of your radiators. If your radiators are relatively small to the point where you are running the boiler pretty hot, then the new boiler will not condense enough to make changing the old one an economical solution. This can particularly be the case where you are setting your new boiler high for the purpose of heating up a hot water tank.

The Netaheats have a 68% efficiency according to Sedbuk, so the efficiency of your new boiler at your chosen flow temperature must be a lot higher than this to give you sufficient payback.

Go for system boiler and sealed system.
A heat only boiler with vented system has no place in a modern heating system it's from the dark ages.

Sponsored Links
I suggest you rip the heat only out and fit a Glow worm Ultrapower 170sxi. I hear its the way foward :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back