Heating comes on during summer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Manchester said:
Hi all, having some problems at the moment.

During the winter I have the heating and hot water set on a timer. But then as it starts to get warmer, I turn the heating off and just have the hot water on the timer.

My problem is that the radiators are getting hot when only the hot water is switched on. The water also gets hot, but as does the rest of the house.

Anyone know what is causing this and if it's easy to resolve?

I had same problem - just in middle of changing my controller/programmer - if that helps. Mine is a traditional hot water cyclinder that is heated by an element not from the boiler as the CH, thus the problem seems to lie with the electrical signal not a pump[/quote]

Sponsored Links
I've still got same problem after replacing the controller - can someone please tell me what to check exactly? I have a traditional hot water cyclinder, heated by an element.

I rang 3 plumbers today - all busy for the next week :(

where do I find this 3 or 2 port value? Near the boiler or the water tank? What exactly does it look like?

dal5band said:
Yes - the heated water from the boiler come out in a pipe which will have some mechanism for splitting the flow to CH & HW. Its the electric valve that does this is not shutting off the CH side fully. It's either stuck or is getting the wrong signal.

Where is the electrical valve located?

gas4you said:
Usually near the hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard.

Cheers. Is it true there should be a summer value that can be switched off during summer - or someone pulling my leg?
--------------------------------------------------------
Previous posts - anyone shed any light:
********'Check operation of electrical switch (black plastic housing) on side of diverter valve (bottom right front corner of appliance). If arm is not moving far enough to activate switch, adjustment can be altered.'???

********'cylinder stat faulty' ???

********'You will have a rotating valve on the CH side, very possibly on the HW side as well, although this need not be so.
The valve is driven by an Actuator ( small electric motor ) which rotates the valve to both switch on the CH and open the CH valve. I suspect the Actuator has stopped working or the valve has stuck - or too tight to move (should be possible to rotate with fingers), and when the HW 'sensor' switches 'on' to heat the tank, as the CH valve is also open the water will also travel to the radiators.
Look for a box with a cable sitting on the pipework which will be sitting over the valve.
Disconnect - you can leave the valve in closed position (turn across pipework with fingers if the valve is OK) - and take the Actuator to replace. ' ???
------------------------------------------------------------------------
emirates?????????

oh that team that just scraped into top 4 - now i get you.

Sponsored Links
Its a danfoss 102e5 controller (brand new), Baxi WM51 3RS boiler, traditonal Cyl water

if it is not next to the cylinder it might be next to the boiler.

You are looking for a brass valve with an electrical (motor-driven) head on it. It will have about 3 large copper pipes going into it and an electrical flex.

for example
p4517602_l.jpg
p2885029_l.jpg
p4558674_l.jpg

nothing like that near boiler or airing cupboard - will have look under floor boards (copuld it be near the pump?). Is it normal that the hot water cyl is red hot on the top and ice cold round the sides? The cold water feed seems to come from the water tank in loft str into the hot water cyl at the bottom [22mm] (could explain whilst cold bottom/hot top) The pipe coming from the top seems to be the hot water - this is piped str to the taps[22mm]. There are also two other pipes going into the cyl at the top (15mm) which are hot (I understand these are attached to the coil inside the tank - but dont know where they lead too - poss rads???)

Follw these 2 15mm pipes back, if they go into loft then yes the 3 port valve could be up there. Quite common.

gas4you said:
Follw these 2 15mm pipes back, if they go into loft then yes the 3 port valve could be up there. Quite common.

Thank you.

I'll get them followed- they seem to head under the floor boards to where the pump is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back