Heating pressure increase when tap is on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, I'm a newbie but just wondered if anyone had some thoughts on this.

My Vaillant Ecotec 831 boiler was installed a year ago. In the summer it needed topping up once or twice and over winter when the heating was on it was falling from 1.1 to 0.4 bar over the space of a month.

Three weeks ago the heating engineers fixed a small connection on the radiator and added sealant to the system.

Now the pressure remains around 0.9 - 1.5 bar but when it's been off for a while it falls to 0.7 and starts flashing.

If I then put the hot tap on the central heating pressure rises back to 1.1 immediately.

Any ideas on why the pressure would fall when it's off and why turning the tap on might fix it? Something to do with the diverter valve??

Thanks everyone!

Sponsored Links
It's called thermal expansion.

Water in a confined space, i.e. your boiler and heating system, will expand when heated and contract as it cools. That is all you're seeing.

I suggest you top up the system pressure a bit so that when it's cold it doesn't get so low as eventually it will lock out on low pressure and you will have no hot water!

Its the effect of your pump running when you open a hot tap, top the standing pressure to between 1 and 1.5 Bar when the system is cold

Sponsored Links
Thanks to both of you! It sounds like it's not a big problem then. I'll top up the system when it's cold and keep monitoring for a while to make sure that the engineer's fix has definately worked.

Many thanks indeed! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back