Heating system...how to get it to work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A system by brother is not used to is in his new house. It has a back boiler, which says Baxi on it, 2 tanks in the loft, one is sitting on the joists the other is higher on the loft wall. There is a tank in the cupboard which heats the water but the cetral heating does not work. The pump is getting very hot but the rads are not. Can anyone suggest how to turn on the cental heating, the previous owners left no instructions.

I noticed that there is what looks like a glass pressure gauge, it does not seem to show any pressure just a small amout odf water half way up the glass. how is the system filled on these systems.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a normal back boiler system with a small feed & expansion tank in the loft. I can't think what the glass gauge is though :confused: From the sounds of it the pumps sounds knackered. Undo the large central screw an try turning with a flat blade screwdriver. Otherwise replace it.

Thanks for the last answer

How is the CH system filled, there don't seem to be any filling loop?
Thanks

Er... its automatically filled from the small tank in the loft. Just make sure there is water in it !

The pump is not turning. Look in the FAQ on this web site for advice on this.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Is there a cylinder thermostat?

Is there a room thermostat?

Are there any motorised valves?

Cant see a cylinder stat
There is a room stat
There is 1 motorised valve which seems to work
When central heating is switched to continuous I can hear the motor start to hum, but don't think its pumping because it gets very hot.

So the central heating is not a sealed system like a combi, is that right?

Thank you

The next step, as has been advised, is to determine whether or not the pump is turning. Which make it is it?

bunser said:
I noticed that there is what looks like a glass pressure gauge, it does not seem to show any pressure just a small amout odf water half way up the glass.
Thank you.

Does it look like this :LOL:

barometer02.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back