Heating wont switch off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into a new (to me) house and am having problems with the heating. We have a timed system which works fine, the problem i am having is that once the heating comes on it goes straight to max and stays there. This is thru out the whole house. I have a Glow worm fuelsaver 35 F boiler but i dont think this is the problem. I have taken apart my room thermostat (Sunvic) and have the correct voltage there, 240v when then points are open and no voltage when the points are closed, i turn the thermostat all the way down and the heating doesnt change, turn the thermostat up and it clicks at 23. Would i be correct in assuming that my room thermostat requires replacing or should i be looking else where for the fault? the only way i can now control the heating is by flicking the heating switch on and off which is a switchmaster 400 situated in my airing cupboard.

Sponsored Links
Motorised valves hold the boiler on forever if they're stuck open ;)

Maybe the valve has been hooked open in manual mode - there is usually a lever on the side of the valve.

I have just checked the valve and it is in "Normal Use" posistion as appossed to the other posistion "Flushing Use". Is there a way i can check the operation of this valve either electricaly or mechanicaly? I have all the necessary tools and equipment to do this.

Sponsored Links
as a temp measure you could turn the thermostat on boiler down so the rad water does not get as hot thus reducing the heating.

The time clock sends power to the thermostat
the thermostat sends power to the valve
the valve moves and sends power to the boiler and pump

Of course it may not be a failure as such but just wired wrong so you need to trace the switched live in the above sequence.

Many thanks for all your answers, I have solved the problem. The motorised valve was stuck. The motor worked but it was the valve that was stuck. A few turns of the valve with the motor removed freed it off, and now my heating works as it should, and the wife is now off my back. Once again many thanks to you all for your help. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back