Help: Broken Fridge Freezer? Tried to lift it...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am tempted to list it as a DIY disaster, but put it here as I really could do with some help quickly.
I just tried to pull our Indest Fridge Freezer a bit forward (as we are moving house on Tuesday and I wanted to see how easy it is to move it) and when doing so I wanted to lift it upwards a bit. I had my hand under the front corner on the right hand side, and when I tried to lift it, I felt some soft metal (?) give way (see photo). That very instant the fridge freezer stopped making any noise, whereas before the compressor was running. The fridge light is still working though. Could someone please help with this?

Obviously I should have unplugged it before trying to move it, but I hadn't! I have switched it and on off and turned the thermostat up, but it's now an hour and it hasn't come yet.
As we are moving on Tuesday (and I haven't told the wife yet), I'd really appreciate any advise, even if it's confirming my fears... (then I'd know not to move it but get it to the tip)

Attachments

• WP_20161016_001.jpg
    WP_20161016_001.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 115
  • WP_20161016_002.jpg
    WP_20161016_002.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 111
  • WP_20161016_001.jpg
    WP_20161016_001.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 96
  • WP_20161016_002.jpg
    WP_20161016_002.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 91
Sponsored Links
I suspect unplugging it wouldn't have made any difference. Can you empty the fridge, turn it on it's side, and check to see what you damaged. It's possible that you've broken one of the pipes, or if you're lucky, just disturbed something.

Once you've identified the damaged part, you can ring a fridge engineer and get a rough price to repair. When you tell the wife, she may just use it as an excuse to get a shiny new fridge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back