help buzzing mcb.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
after reading many posts on the subject,i decided to get some low voltage downlights.i bought a range of transformers from tlc,that they said would dim low voltage.6x 50w lights.also i bought a double dimmer in flat plate brass,that was the missus who insisted on the dimmer,something to do with romantic!!! again tlc said the dimmer would work on the 300w rating of the lights.

the lights were installed 2 weeks ago by a sparky,then a plasterer came in,i connected the lights myself.everything worked like a treat.but i have noticed that there is buzzing from the mcb when the lights are dimmed.also a couple of bulbs elsewhere in the house have blown in the last couple of days.

any ideas.

Sponsored Links
most dimmers are phase cutters

while they try to add filtering it isn't perfect and you get a lot of harmonics the surges theese create are probablly having an effect on the whole cuircuit and the fairly low rated mcb

you could try putting them on a 5A fcu from the ring

btw multi channel 2KW stage dimmer packs buzz like hell

You could also put one of these in the circuit just before the transformer

sp215r.jpg

It's a two pole surge protector. I know they are designed to stop surges coming into circuits from the supply side, but they will stop harmonics going the other way too.

fwl i've noticed you post some strange pics

while you show the right basic devices you show forms of them that seem not quite right :)

like that 15A socket that was in some stange way built into that lighting bar!

and that surge suppresser that is intended to go in a cu

Sponsored Links
plug, you know why that is, cos my name is Franklin not Bottichelli, therefore I am no artist.

15A socket on a light bar, well that is because where you find 99% of 15A socket-outlets, as posts by others pointed out, I could not find one mounted in a wall I'm afraid :)

And the Surge suppressor, well it can be mounted in a Consumer unit yes, but it can also be mounted in a DIN rail mount enclosure too. Unfortunatley the exact model I was thinking of Hager don't have a picture of on their website, this was the nearest one, so it was a case of Illistrative purposes only..:D

MKK0772.jpg

0wned. First 15A socket pic I came to. Can't find the surge suppresor thing though.

Anyway, let's not hijack the thread with talk about pictures.

just some more info on the problem,it must be the dimmer as i put on normal light switch and the buzzing from the mcb stopped.the downlights are controled by a 5a fuse on the downstairs light ring.even if all the lights where on it would be max of 850w.

thanks for the above replys,with regards to surge suppressor would i have to put 6 on as i have 6 transformers.and also any idea of price.

with the 5a fcu i think i would have to leave it to pros.as i am okay at fitting switches etc.i would not be happy to go near the main board.

again thanks for the help,as the missus has insisted that the dimmer has to stay.

yours

allan.

i don't see what a fcu has to do with the main board

back of socket on ring--fcu--dimmer--light

note from the socket to the fcu you should be using 2.5mm if you do it this way

plugwash said:
i don't see what a fcu has to do with the main board

I should say that it means the origonal poster has no idea as to what an FCU is,or how to wire one, not all people are confident, after all he did say i am okay at fitting switches etc.

allan2414 said:
thanks for the above replys,with regards to surge suppressor would i have to put 6 on as i have 6 transformers.and also any idea of price.

No Alan, simply put one on the supply in to the first transformer, would I be correct in thinking that they are linked together?

Price wise can vary from about £17 to about £80 for single phase units depending on whose you buy and the power rating they have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back