HELP ! - My loft is wet, wet wet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am in need of help. Last winter I added an extra layer of loft insulation and boarded the majority of the floor in our semi-detached house.

On venturing up there yesterday evening in search of something I was greeted by a water driping from the felt across the north side of the roof. It appears to be collecting at the joints in the felt and then dripping down in lines across the roof space. On closer investigation quite a few of the roof trusses on this side are also soaking wet.

I was up there a week or so back and noticed the odd drop of water but put this down to condensation. However, this is much worse and is ruining my newly laid chipboard floor ! Could this just be severe condensation ? If so is there any easy way of sorting it (I made sure not to block the ventilation at the eaves when adding more insulation)

I know that the mortar around the ridge tiles is pretty naff and could do with replacing. However, it hasn't rained for a week or so therefore not sure how this could be to blame. Could moisture getting in between the ridge tiles make the condensation problem inside worse ?

Any help/opinions greatly appreciated.

House was built about 1980, it is semi-detached with tiles backed by roofing felt.

Many thanks

John

Ventured into the loft yesterday evening to be greeted by

Sponsored Links
Lofts need to breathe.Soffit vents can and do block up and I had a similar problem.The only solution was to cut vents into the gable ends.Standard
225 X 150 air vents (9x6 in the old money) Problem solved.My house 1978.Soffit vents cleaned out and a real pain to do.

simply severe condensation all that is needed is a few tile vents if roof is a standard tiled roof simply take out one tile and replace with tile vent take a roofer bout 10mins to do one tile vent could cost between 20-50quid each tho

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back