Home Made Stairs and regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody had any experience with building a staircase from scratch?

I've got an existing stairwell -all trimmed out etc. but it's a tricky space in an old house with nothing straight and a 5 step double winder (ie: U shape). It's also small -140cm at narrowest part (the winding) with a well length of 183cm - not easy to fit within the regs.

I've got a pretty good idea about what's going on but would appreciate any tips on relative properties of different timber types (want natural wood) etc.

Also, any easy way to calculate the walk link up a double winder (ie curved walking path at step mid-width)? I'm not too shabby at the maths but getting this right has been lead to a quantum like proof! :eek: Who'd have thought that I'd actually have yo use a simultaneous equation in real life! There's got to be an easier rule-of-thumb way of doing it (and still having the minimum 50mm inner step treads). Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you don't have a staircase in place ,so rather than trying to do a calculation ,could you not temporary fix 2 boards .1for the first set of steps and kite winder then 1 on the return for the rest of the stepsand kite winder

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back