hot rads but no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to the forums so please be kind...

I have a small problem with my hot water. The boiler is heating water fine and the pump is pumping this round the radiators with no issue - and gets very hot - but hot water supply remains unheated.

I have an old style vented storage cylinder with built in cold water/expansion tank at the top (circa 1980). Recently I drained the system to clean it but now everything is back in place my hot water isn't hot.

The water is obviously flowing through the tank to the hot tap and being topped up via the mains supply but is not being heated internally inside the cylinder.

One thing I have noticed is that either the inlet (or outlet-not sure) of the heating coil which connects via the pump to the boiler is cold when it gets nearer to the tank but progressively hotter as gets to the pump and motorised valve. It's almost as if the coiled pipe (not sure of the name) that passes in and out of the cylinder is blocked in some way - or at least the hot water from the boiler is being stopped from flowing freely through the cylinder.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you haven't bled the air from the vent on the flow pipe to your cylinder.
You dont mention whether or not there is a diverter valve. I assume that there is. The vent you are looking for is normally between that and the cylinder.

Cheers Slugbabydotcom,

Ended up disconnecting the exchange coil return from the cylinder just slightly with the pump turned on, as I couldn't find anywhere to bleed the air between the diverter valve and the coil and again on the return.

A big hiss of air and then hot water.

Thanks very much.

Robmaxtom.

Cheers Slugbabydotcom,

Ended up disconnecting the exchange coil return from the cylinder just slightly with the pump turned on, as I couldn't find anywhere to bleed the air between the diverter valve and the coil and again on the return.

Thanks very much.

Robmaxtom.

Sponsored Links
Cheers Slugbabydotcom,

Thanks very much.

Robmaxtom.

Well Done!!!
Can't help thinking that you must be a man who has fitted new brake pipes on his car and bled air from the nut when the bleed nipple rounded off?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back