Hot water control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My hot water tank has a thermostat, set below 40°C, but the water is much hotter - almost burning to the touch. Any suggestions why?
The thermostat appears to work - both the boiler and valve activate with the "click" of the thermostat, and the click is at a higher temperature (around 60-70°C).

Sponsored Links
If you've got a three-way valve, then I expect it isn't cutting off the hot supply from the boiler when the cylinder temperature reaches the setting.

Likely worn out. Might be the thermostat or the emotorised head, though.
You might get an idea by feeling how hot the pipes are round the valve and the cylinder.

Unles your house feels cold, you could turn down the boiler temp until you get it fixed.

It is a 2 way valve (with another on the heating system). I guess it could be passing through though. Worth checking.

Is the thermostat 1/3 of the cylinder height from the bottom?

Is it making good contact with the cylinder?

Sponsored Links
Without measuring it, it is about 1/3 of the way up. It appears to be measuring the temperature ok - the click is at a higher temprtature than is set on the dial.

Try winding the dial down to a lower temperature.

JohnD said:
Try winding the dial down to a lower temperature.
Don't do this. 60°C is not a random number - it's recommended as the right comprimise between allowing bacterial growth and being too hot to be healthy.

If the water is too hot then something is faulty and should be fixed. Likely candidates have already been given. If you select CH only and wait for a while, the pipe between MZV and cylinder inlet (usually, but not always, the hgher pipe), should get distinctly touchable, as opposed to being at !ouch! temperature.

The thermostat is already at 40°C - it doesn't go much lower. :confused: The boiler dial is set at 2

When I turn it up to hear the click and teh boiler/valve, it is only for a few seconds so that wouldn't heat the water that hot. Could the boiler water be getting past the valve somehow?

I'm not going to check it at this time of night, but checking the temperature of the pipes around the valves seems a good starting point. Thanks

Softus said:
Don't do this.

:oops: I had in mind that the thermostat might be out of calibration, so that the dial might be set at 60 but it might actually be switching at 70 (or whatever)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back