Hot water in F&E tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a bit of a problem.

Most of my radiators are no longer getting any heat in them - just the first few after the boiler but the expansion pipe is putting lots of hot water into the F&E tank - and of course down the cold feed and back into the system.

Now the rads after the first few have never been very hot always seemed strange as the first one get roasting and I think the F&E tank has probably been getting hot water in it for a while. But lately the heat in the rads has dropped to virtually nil.

Now the boiler has been turned down and the pump too to stop it getting too hot up there.

Had a plumber take a look and he's also discovered that the expansion pipe is too small - same size as the cold feed. Which I gather is not a good thing.

His suggestion is that we turn the system into a sealed system as preferable to fitting a new correctly sized expansion pipe from the boiler up the loft and suggests that this will turn the system into a nice warm and safe system again - reckons on a couple of days work. He checked the boiler and it was suitable for a sealed system.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Sponsored Links
sounds like hes taking the ****.

it sounds more lke your system is possibly sludged twith a restriction between cold feed and open vent. yes coneverting to seald may rmove that section of pipe, but it shouldn't take two days. and it would probly still need cleaning.

second opinion from an onsite eng if it were my system.

I have had a look for where the expansion is plumbed in compared to where the cold feed is.

The cold feed is between the boiler and pump just below the pump.
The expansion is - well not plumbed in there in fact I can't find where it's plumbed in! - might be halfway along the flow upstairs after the first two (hot) radiators. I'm guessing though as I have to lift floor boards to be sure.

Sponsored Links
Just found the installation manual for the boiler which say "Do not connect this boiler to a sealed water system" hmm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back