Hot water supply often runs cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have moved into a house with a Worcester Bosch R40 HE plus. The hot taps and shower sometimes run hot then go cold.

Heating Engineer has so far fitted a new plate heat exchanger and a new hot water thermistor without resolving the problem. So I am £500 worse off and still have the problem.

Have any of you out there any suggestions on what the cause and solution might be before I spend more replacing components which just "may" resolve the problem?

Thanks

smaug

Sponsored Links
I’d be suspecting failed check valves if fitted. I’m guessing it’s a Combi boiler with a plate being fitted?

Thanks Chris.

Yes it is a combi - the first time we have had one. Any advice on best way to check your suggested cause.

Just pumps may be right but we have used a well regarded firm though as we are new to the area we had no direct experience of them

Sponsored Links
It’s fairly simple, if you’re able to, isolate the cold under the boiler (this isolates the hot water from the boiler), open a hot tap and if water runs, you have a passing check valve somewhere.

Thanks but with the cold supply off there is no flow from the hot taps.

Any further suggestions

Wait until system is cold, run the hot tap and feel the flow pipe (usually the 1st pipe on the left under the boiler) and let me know if it heats up.

Each time I have tried this the pipe heats up but the hot taps haven't run cold at that time (but have later).

Thanks for your help but as the Heating Engineer says he has spoken to Bosch and they cannot suggest any other action except to replace the boiler I have given up and will live with the problem.

Each time I have tried this the pipe heats up but the hot taps haven't run cold at that time (but have later).
So the pipe I mentioned heated up each time? Suggests a diversion issue to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back