how close to an existing copper pipe is it safe to drill a hole for a new pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had a moling company replace my mains supply pipe recently, because the existing copper pipe was leaking around the floor where it was coming up from. They used a core drill to drill down through the floor/wall to the outside underground, where the new pipe ran to the mains supply. The problem is the hole they drilled was about 10->20 mm from an existing copper pipe which also goes under the kitchen floor and supplies water to the rest of the house. This copper pipe is now leaking (noticed a few days after the new supply pipe was fitted), I think the drilling might have disturbed it and caused this.

Is this a mistake of the moling company to drill so close to an existing pipe? Or just my fault for having bad plumbing?

Here is a photo: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmGtZYDBXzj8iLwdqx8KlFNyfRmd4Q?e=a1cg4I (don't be mislead by the drip seen from the supply pipe joint, this pipe is getting sprayed by the leak coming from the floor)

What's the best solution here? I'm thinking to have the water to the rest of house rerouted to run along the walls behind the kitchen cabinets, instead of under floor - which just seems to be asking for trouble.

Sponsored Links
Can’t see the photo without logging into Microsoft outlook. Agree with above, but I wouldn’t say it’s bad plumbing as a lot of houses were done this way. (Are you now thinking you wish you’d gone with quote 1?).

Is this 2nd copper pipe buried in the same slab that has eaten the first one? Unless the molers have actually hit it then you are a victim of a chemical reaction. Any other copper buried in the same ground? That'll be rotting out as well- replace now or replace later when they fail, up to you. And yes stick the new pipe in the service void, it's what it is there for! Try and use swept bends (not the short right angles) round all the inevitable corners, it'll help flow & pressure to the rest of the house.

Sponsored Links
Is this 2nd copper pipe buried in the same slab that has eaten the first one? Unless the molers have actually hit it then you are a victim of a chemical reaction. Any other copper buried in the same ground? That'll be rotting out as well- replace now or replace later when they fail, up to you. And yes stick the new pipe in the service void, it's what it is there for! Try and use swept bends (not the short right angles) round all the inevitable corners, it'll help flow & pressure to the rest of the house.
Yep, and I've got a returning hot water pipe coming back through the same slab, I will get that rerouted too, just hope my plumber is good at removing wren kitchen cabinets and appliances and putting them back as before.

Yep, and I've got a returning hot water pipe coming back through the same slab, I will get that rerouted too, just hope my plumber is good at removing wren kitchen cabinets and appliances and putting them back as before.
Have a look at any formal training scheme for plumbers, you won't find much carpentry in there. You'll get a much better (and probably cheaper) result if you give the plumber a clear site- so either empty and shift the units yourself or find a kitchen fitter to do it for you.
The main beartrap with the units is propping the rear edge of the worktop. If you have one unit in the middle of a run, pull that out first, then you can get props in before doing the rest
If you are really unlucky the units might be strapped to the wall, straps up behind the splashback.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back