How do I know whether my mask protects from all paint fumes/decoration related liquids??

Sponsored Links
That says it just has cotton filters and cartridges. I think I read I need charcoal ones for proper protection?

Shave properly before wearing a mask.
Beards, moustache and goaty stop getting a proper seal.

It has to be pp3 certified and have charcoal fil;ters?. I can buy charcoalones to just upgrade mine I guess.

Sponsored Links
One of those massive fans the fire service use to clear smoke out of houses, plumbed up to a good seal at the front door and shut all windows/doors other than those on the room where you're working?

I tend to purchase AEBK charcoal filters. They cover organic and inorganic vapours. Not sure of the pp ratings of the ones that I purchase. I normally only use them when spraying 2k paint. With them on, I cannot smell anything but I am probably absorbing the evil isocyanates through my eyes and skin.

I do have some of these though

PP3 and organic vapours. Very comfortable to wear but £22 for 30 days. They are disposable units, you cannot swap out the filters. My GF works for a car body shop, the guys doing the spraying use them.

It might be a good idea to email the firm in my link and tell them what product you will be using them and ask them to advise a suitable mask.

Technically a face fit test is required to ensure that the chosen mask works properly and doesn't leak around the sides. This is a more pressing issue for us at the moment (trade, site based) as it appears to be the current HSE target, with a number of sites in the NW having had enforcement visits in recent weeks.

AFAIK there is only one mask on the market which allows the user to self-test the mask, and that is the JSP Force 8 which we use. They even seal effectively with 2 to 3 daya stubble growth. You can also get ABEK filter cartridges for them.

Between uses I think it is aways a good idea to clean them (with the filters removed they can be popped in a wash bag and washed on a low temp wash) and then store them inside a sealed plastic container like a Tuppaware type box

The only alternative we've been given is a air helmet with appropriate filter - and the ones with sufficient head protection run about £600 for the Trend, over £1k for a 3M or Scott. Ouch!

Last edited by a moderator:
My GF tells me that the guys in the spray shop have wipes that they use to wipe the inside of the face masks, in my previous link, at the end of each day. They then put them back in the resealable foil bag.

I guess that they are something like these

My GF tells me that the guys in the spray shop have wipes that they use to wipe the inside of the face masks, in my previous link, at the end of each day. They then put them back in the resealable foil bag.
They have an additional problem to deal with, though, overspray which dries as dust. Not something you see much in house painting

Even in a spray booth you can get loads of overspray, especially when using high pressure guns

One thing I do which is similar is to wipe out the mask using a tissue or two wetted with Dettox at the end of the day. Cheap and cheerful

I think fpp3 is good for paint fumes and dust

It's FFP3, @Dace - stands for Face-Fitted P3. Without a face-fit test, the mask would just be a P3

The test is simple - you don the mask and seat it properly. You then effectively put your head in a bag whilst someone else sprays stuff in the back of the bag behind you - either sweet or sour smelling/tasting - and if you can taste or smell them your mask isn't sealing properly.

I know I'm being a pedant, but I see the term FFP whatever being bandied about all over the place, but rarely ever see a description of what the "FF" part actually involves

BTW we use P3 masks for a lot of fine dusts such as MDF, etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back