How do you turn off these rad valves?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, the other day I was doing some decorating in my bathroom. I closed one of the valves on the rad, I couldn't workout how to do the "lock shield" valve though.

leftvalve.jpg valveright.jpg

On closing the left valve, water started peeing out of the rad tail, fortunately I was able to tighten the nut but I would still like to know how to close the other valve.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
in your pic 2 , use an allen key or similar and screw the valve down it will close the valve off, best to count how many turns and use the same amount when opening again, but to be honest doesnt look like it has ever been balanced

in your pic 2 , use an allen key or similar and screw the valve down it will close the valve off, best to count how many turns and use the same amount when opening again, but to be honest doesnt look like it has ever been balanced

Thanks ianmcd.

I very much doubt that it was balanced. It is the rad nearest to the combi. I may throttle it a tad. "She" uses that bathroom, I don't... and she only uses it for about 20 mins a day.

Sponsored Links
screw it down completely closed then , and once you have finished working on it, open it about half a turn, the larger further away rads will thank you for it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back