how good upvc patio doors from bad ones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
anyone any ideas on how to tell if patio doors are any good? I'm thinking of getting some that are not new, and wanted to know if they were correctly priced. Ebay and bargain pages have loads, but how can you tell your not getting a cheap quality set? Is the tilting type a good indication? what about type/width of glass? or can you tell from locks or handles? UPVC doesn't have any brand or logo on it, does it? Is there anyting to definitely avoid. The reason I'm after a new set (albeit used)is because I've got large aluminium ones at the moment, and it's freezing in the winter. I've been told aluminium ones are rubbish and upvc are better, I suppose that's true isn't it?

any advice would be appreciated.
thanks.

Sponsored Links
I would not buy and DG windows/patio/French doors without looking at them first. Replacement windows are subject to BC regulations on type of glass, air gap & 'e' coating (& insurance companies insist on multiple point locking) so you should observe latest standards. Personally I don't think it's really worth taking the chance; unless you know what questions to ask the seller, you could end up with a total load of outdated & useless *rap!

If you really want to save money, try ringing round some of your local DG suppliers/fitters as they usually have a windows & doors that they have c*cked up on with sizes & will only be too pleased to shift them at cost if they match your requirements!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back