How many pipes on the gutter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm having issues with the guttering on my detached bungalow. I'm off work in a couple of weeks so thought I might try to tackle this.

Down one side of the building is a pitched roof and a flat roof next to each other, the pitched roof is about 8 metres wide and the flat roof is 7 metres, so there is roughly 15 metres of guttering running the length of the building. Currently there is only one down pipe for this length (see photo's)

I have a couple of questions, is it possible to tell from what I have said how many down pipes are required (I'm sure that one isn't enough)
As there are no drains in the ground around the house, is there a minimum distance that the pipes need to be away from the property before emptying? - all the houses round here just empty onto the floor.

Thanks[/img]

Sponsored Links
Oh, and any suggestions about the cracking on the front of the house are welcome too! they really stand out in the photo!

for every 3 meters of gutter it should have a down spout/ down pipe on it. coz if heavy rain falls and you only have one down pipe it may cause an overflow of rain water. and it may penetrate to the ceiling that may cause damage

thats not correct, that means my 8.5m front of house would have 3 down pipes. :LOL:

there is some sort of calculation i think it also depends on the angle of the roof.

Sponsored Links
You need to do a drawing of your roof plan with dimensions, take a photie of it and you might get an answer. :idea:

Hi
There are various considerations when sizing gutter / down pipe. Not least of all the intensity of rain fall we currently get. EG. designed to never overflow,once in 50 year, 25,10 etc. On domestic property in general there is no major problem with a occasional overflow situation. Your 56 Sm. roof area with say 110 mm half round with a fall of say 350:1 and D pipe in middle of run should be adequate in perfect conditions. However debris, wind etc will affect performance. If level the performance will be about a third less. If you intend to dig a soakaway check with your local Building Control office. I my area i seam to remember 15 m away from properties (But Check)

Have a good week off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back