how paranoid should I be about this stuff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ah the joys of trying to sort loft insulation, deal with the deadly dripping, etc etc. Don't you love December.

And why do I start all DIY jobs at 16.30 on a Sunday?

So probably just manky old rockwool? Can anyone tell from the pic? One pic is a closeup, with water drops. The wider pic has new insulation to the left, old yellow stuff in fore, and the manky stuff behind. Other pic shows the 'hairy' dust that is often under the old manky stuff.

I've already disturbed a load, and got to again to repair a hole in airing cupboard ceiling where an old flu pipe passed through. Hoping that sealing all the holes will help with condensation. But, also don't want to be worrying about that stuff. Got a PP3 mask and type 5 overalls......

Attachments

• IMG_20221211_174523277.jpg
    IMG_20221211_174523277.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20221211_174547622.jpg
    IMG_20221211_174547622.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20221211_174618960.jpg
    IMG_20221211_174618960.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 68
Sponsored Links
The yellow stuff is most likely fibreglass. For the record, asbestos fibres are so small the human eyd cannot resolve them, so "hairy" is no indication

Asbestos board is a bit like a China plate when you tap it with metal. Think that's plasterboard in picture. Rest is rockwool

cheers for the comments. There is some actual asbestos-cement flue pipe up there that I'm summoning up the courage to rip (carefully) out, and there were a couple of broken bits lying around, plus a large and a small asbestos cement water tank. Add in the manky spider webs, mouse droppings etc and I can't say its my favourite room in the house

Sponsored Links
Apart from using a P3 mask, if you insist on removing it you should try to cut or break it as little as possible. Damping down with water also greatly reduces any tendency of the fibres to become airborne and spread. Whatever you do DON'T be tempted to use a domestic vacuum.cleaner.to pick up any asbestos dust - the filters will pass asbestos fibres and you'll blow them far and wide.

Remember that asbestos needs to be disposed of carefully (check with your council if they will supply asbestos disposal bags (at a price). Also, if removing the stuff your clothes will become contaminated and need washing.

TBH the best approach is generally to.leave it in situ rather than disturb it

Sorry to bat on, but I think it does bear repeating

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back