How should this tiled cast iron fire insert be fitted?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a fireplace question I’m hoping someone can shed some light on. We’ve just bought this fireplace insert with cast iron fire back and damper plate, grate and fret. They were installed in someone’s house in a false chimney for effect and have never had a fire in them. We want to install and use as a real wood fire, to replace our current open fire. The main thing that’s thrown me off is the open bottom to the cast fire back, behind where the ash tray would go and behind the grate. The back face is also shaped inwards so it appears to be for airflow? But I’ve not seen it on any others and most say to backfill behind once installed which can’t be done if there’s this hole. I tried asking Gallery because it looks like their design but they say it’s possibly their tulip hood screwed to another makers fireplace and so can’t help.

Is this maybe designed for a gas fire and not solid fuel? But someone slotted in the solid fuel grate for looks? Or is it just the entire thing is designed to slip into an existing once piece concrete / clay / ceramic fire back that is itself backfilled properly? That would leave an air gap between the iron and solid back which makes sense?

Also is there meant to be a gap between the hood and back? Now I know this possibly isn’t one manufacturer I’m concerned it's not right at all.

Any help greatly appreciated! Pictures hopefully attached.

Attachments

• IMG_5518.jpg
    IMG_5518.jpg
    555.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5523(1).jpg
    IMG_5523(1).jpg
    496.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5524.jpg
    IMG_5524.jpg
    578.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5525.jpg
    IMG_5525.jpg
    473.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5526.jpg
    IMG_5526.jpg
    539.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5527.jpg
    IMG_5527.jpg
    542 KB · Views: 58
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back