How to clean window mechanisms after install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
The new casement windows and vertical sliders have been installed. Theres dust and bits of render and plaster in the mechanisms that the installer said Id have to clean out or it will break the mechanisms.
Whats the best way to do this? Vacuum cleaner? Is there any lubricant that can be used - they feel very stuff to open and the grit isnt helping.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Vacuum cleaner with narrow suction tool, and then an aerosol spray duster; Screwfix do them. Sprayable wd40 for the opening mechanisms.

Cheers,

Blup

Did the ' debris ' come from installation , if so let them deal with it , if not , as blup says , a vacuum works well

Yes, the debris was through installation, but the installers were an absolute nightmare. Poor installation, bad advice, passive aggressive. I should be within my rights to get them to clean everything but I dont trust them at all.

Sponsored Links
What best to get the stickers off the actual windows? Peel them off and then soapy water to remove the sticky residue? Im reticent to use nail polish etc... in case it marks the windows!

Report them to FENSA!

I know - Id dearly love to. The install was a complete bodge, the windows look awful, the installer was belligerent, there's been no courtesy 'sign off' - ie: I dont know how to use the mechanisms to open the windows to clean them etc... (I know I can just YouTube it). I dont think FENSA will be any good because theyre just interested in installs that havnt been installed to building regs. I havnt had the building inspector out yet to sign it off, but I presume it will be 'up to standard' despite the nightmare. These cowboys are a member of www.trustmark.org.uk too.

Nail varnish remover will melt the plastic if it touches it, I prefer lighter fuel or you can use wd40 but oil residue will then need a clean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back