How to fill an electric towel rail/rad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I purchased a chrome towel rail which can be used as either an electric rail or plumbed into the central heating system

We want to use it as an electric towel rail. My first question is - what and how do you fill it (I've got a 300w heating element to install at the bottom). My second q is, if we use water to fill it then it is advisable to add a rust inhibitor, if so can anyone recommend one?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Assemble the rad, element and vent plugs so that one of the four holes in the rad is left open.

Fill the rad completely with water using a measuring jug, to find the total capacity of the rad. Drain all of the water out of the rad.

You will need to put a mixture of water and a little radiator/ch corrosion inhibitor into the rad to 90% of the rad's capacity. You need to leave 10% of the rad's capacity as air to allow for the expansion of the water.

Lastly, screw the plug into the fourth hole in the rad to seal it.

Assemble the rad, element and vent plugs so that one of the four holes in the rad is left open.

Fill the rad completely with water using a measuring jug, to find the total capacity of the rad. Drain all of the water out of the rad.

You will need to put a mixture of water and a little radiator/ch corrosion inhibitor into the rad to 90% of the rad's capacity. You need to leave 10% of the rad's capacity as air to allow for the expansion of the water.

Lastly, screw the plug into the fourth hole in the rad to seal it.

would you heat the rad to full temp and bleed it?

Sponsored Links
No.

If the rad is being used on its own, ie. not connected to a ch system, just fill it to 90% capacity, screw the last cap in and then leave it. It doesn't need bleeding.

As its not connected to a ch system that 10% expansion gap should stay as it is, as you can't gain more air from anywhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back