How to remove pvc pipe lettering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Does anyone know how to remove the lettering from the sides of pvc pipe?

Thanks

Regards,
Doug

Sponsored Links
The hardware shop that sold the pipe and fittings would also sells the solvent weld cement (plastic pipe glue) to join pipes to fittings (unless push fit fittings where silicon grease is used).
The shop should also sell a liquid spirit in a can called UPVC pipe cleaner. Rub it on the pipe with a rag and the lettering comes off. Should be used on the pipe ends for cleaning before gluing on the fitting - for plastic pool pipes, waste pipes etc..

Acetone will clean PVC. Go carefully because it does disolve the plastic. Nail varnish remover is also worth a try.

felix said:
Acetone will clean PVC. Go carefully because it does disolve the plastic. Nail varnish remover is also worth a try.

Nail varnish remover is acetone (ethanone) :!:

Sponsored Links
Nail varnish remover is acetone (ethanone)

Thanks for that bit of info Eddie. I don't use nail varnish myself! Ethanone is also a new one on me. I just can't get my head around these new chemical names. In my school days we had good old stuff like ethylene, acetylene and the mysterious amylene. I wish I could remember what that last one was!

felix said:
Nail varnish remover is acetone (ethanone)

Thanks for that bit of info Eddie. I don't use nail varnish myself! Ethanone is also a new one on me. I just can't get my head around these new chemical names. In my school days we had good old stuff like ethylene, acetylene and the mysterious amylene. I wish I could remember what that last one was!

Potash of sulphate, eye of newt, nux vomica etc !! However, I think you're younger than me :eek:

Amylene...A flammable liquid hydrocarbon of 5 isomeric forms...Amylene hydrate...a solvent :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back