How to replace rainwater drip 'lip' on rendered wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm repairing an external rendered wall and am wondering how to deal with the very badly chipped rendered rainwater drip 'lip' at the bottom of the render where it meets brickwork.

Tried just filling in the chipped areas with render - but there's nothing to support it - old render - no mesh beading.

I was thinking to use some sort of mesh beading and re-creating the lip for the whole wall. I've pretty good at repairing old render in general - (unfortunately lots of practice!) but haven't tried my hand at this - any advice whether to use mesh beading and how to go about it / or alternative techniques?

Thanks in advance...

Nick

Sponsored Links
Have a look on my Album "Rough-casting a garage, there are a few photos of how I put the drip beads on ,I put battens pinned to the wall first then sat my beads on them and pinned them on with hilti-nails and washers.I used stainless steel beads but you can use plastic ones also. If you still have render on the wall then you might have to grind it off where the beads are going so you can put them on.then bring them in to your existing render....If you are putting them around a corner cut a triangle section out of the back of the bead and fold it in so you have a right angle then pin it around the corner and cut a little section out of the top of the next bead and slide it in to the one that is fixed to the wall. this helps to make a good corner without a joint there. Hope you can understand this , Good luck ;)You could also put battens under your original beads and chip a bit more out of the areas that need patching and bring them back in with render...

Hi Roy - hadnt considered using batterns - thatll make it a lot easier!
Cheers
Nick

roy, i was interested in your pics, but whats the purpose of supporting the bell render beads on the battens? Is it an extra pair of hands?

rumbin,
As roy said, hack off and set a bell bead, dont try to shape the render to throw off the surface water rundown, it will begin degrading at the first frost.

Sponsored Links
dann09";p="2746629 said:
roy, i was interested in your pics, but whats the purpose of supporting the bell render beads on the battens? Is it an extra pair of hands?
The reason for putting battens underneath the bell-bead is to stop it sagging and to hold it level dannO, You can put the scratch coat on the bell-bead first to fill it out a bit then scratch coat the main area then put another scratch on the bead to bring it out a bit more so it takes the float coat...A bell bead can take quite a bit of muck to bring it out so you can build the scratch coat on it out instead of trying to get it out in one. The muck that actually goes in the "drip" section of the bead hasn't got anything to suck the moisture out like the section on the wall so it needs a bit of extra time to "firm" up so two thinnish coats are better than one thick coat.... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back