Ideal mains pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently built a new extension and now have an upstairs bathroom and an onsuite, previously the only bathroom was downstairs. We have swapped our boiler (12Kw worcester heatslave combi) for a similar Heatslave 18/25 condensing oil combi in the same location. We left in a pressure reducing valve (3 bar) which fed cold water into to the boiler and also upstairs.
We have had 2 months of trouble free plumbing but recently the downstairs cold water was extended into a new utility room/cloakroom and we experienced really bad fog horn type noise from the pipework when using any water upstairs or through the boiler (worse at night when I presume pressure is higher) This forum was helpful in understanding the cause and the problem has been sorted temporarily by turning down the stopcock then permanantly by removing the pressure limiting valve.

Consequently we now have an even better shower (like it will wash you was you down the plughole) but I am worried that we are exceeding the recommended maximum 10 bar preesure input to the boiler and would be happy to put in a new pressure valve (but put it just after the stopcock in the kitchen to avoid any noise)

My question (so I can get the correct pressure limiter) is what is a recommended pressure for a normal 3 bed/ 2 bathroom house with combi boiler setup. (don't want to damage pipework but would like to flush the bog while the shower is running etc.) Flowrate isn't a problem, best guess at the kitchen tap is about 40 litres/min. Boiler instructions give no help other than 10 bar is maximum.

Sponsored Links
No, But after asking and considering it I could just put the 3 bar pressure limiter after the stopcock and see how it goes. I'm thinking if the flowrate is ok and the static pressure can't get over 3 bar when there is no water demand then I won't have any worries.

Sorry for the daft question.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back