Identifying Lintel / Supporting wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A two story house has a single story front porch, with an internal doorway leading to it.

Image one shows the doorway (internal door removed), with a 'feature' brick wall next to it.

I think the lintel spans the actual doorway AND the bricked area; a close up image of above the right side of the brick wall shows a crack I suspect to indicate the end of the lintel, and knocking on the wall sounds the same (less echoey then the rest of the wall) above the brick wall as it does above the doorway.

The question is: can I be confident that the brick wall can be safely knocked down due to the existing lintel in place, or is there further investigation I should do to determine if it may be load-bearing?

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 114
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 117
Sponsored Links
You are going to have to do some making good so why not simply open up by knocking out the top corner brick and any plastered obstruction to give a view of the lintel bearing end?
Stay away from all outside corners.
Given the construction on the photo I would imagine that its linteled all the way across but have a look anyway.

Thanks vinn. Will do that; removing the door frame showed that the redbricks are in front of a breeze block wall, so am going to make certain before knocking anything down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back