If you dont use a registered gas installer....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was called by a friend's sister to look at a problem in her brother's house which is let as he works overseas.

Simply, the old conventional boiler failed and she got a non registered to fit a new condensing floor standing Promax FSB boiler in a cupboard which is now within a glass conservatory.

The flue is too long for the boiler but goes up through the glass roof of the conservatory and the entire length of a vertical terminal sticks upwards outside at a sloping angle based on 90° to the slope of the glass roof.

The tenant thinks that he is being placed at risk and muttering about sueing the landlord or installer or agent! With the right expert that would largely fail because the installation is not actually able to put anyone in danger in the downstairs flat. He has had heating and has not been significantly inconvenienced.

This vertical terminal looks very unsightly and is about 1.4 m from the upstairs bay window and about 1.4m from a horizontal terminal from the upstairs boiler.

The upstairs tenants complained to National Grid who attended but as the upstairs flat was being vacated they turned off the boiler there!

The Agent sent two different RGIs to issue a Gas Safety Certificate but both refused although listing slightly different reasons.

I could not see any easy way to fit a compliant flue on the existing boiler and suggested that either it needs to be moved towards the back garden and reinstalled there with a flue discharging towards the garden or alternately to fit a new wall mounted boiler either in the existing cupboard with a long horizontal flue to the back garden or to mount it on the wall close to the back garden with a short flue.

Since I am not being paid, I am not wanting to get too involved and I am certainly not going to discuss the problem with the unregistered installers as the sister wants me to do. I don't encourage unregistered work.

If I was to quote for moving the boiler it would be about £880 and take 2-3 days with no heating for the tenants.

If I was to replace the boiler with a wall mount then that could be changed over in a day and release a three month old boiler with a lot of flue bits but cost about £1500.

Let her problems be a lesson to anyone thinking of using a non registered installer.

Tony

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back