Improving insulation to house (gradually)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to improve the insulation to rooms as we alter / decorate them. The heating system (ASHP) as been sized by calculations for the current design (going off the original 1984 plans). So I'm only looking for easy improvements (new roof would be out of the question as it's 140 sq m and will have panels on it soon).

1. The rafters are filled (4 inch thickness) with rockwool. This was in the original plans and their are notes about ventilation. If I replaced this with Celotex, as I'd have to leave a 50mm gap I'd only get 50mm of Celotex which won't be better than 100 mm of rock wool? Is this right or is it the case that if 100mm of rockwool was okay then 100mm of celtox will be fine too?

2. I don't want to dig up the concrete floor in the kitchen to insulate, but I would like a warmer feeling floor than tile on screed on concrete. So I was thinking of replacing the tiles with 6mm of Depron foam straight to the screed, and then self levelling on top of this, then vinyl flooring. Is that going to be worth it? The other options are: take up tiles & lay just vinyl or self level over tiles and then vinyl.

3. The house is chalet style, so the side wall of the upstairs rooms are dwarf stud walls with a void behind. At least some of these walls are not insulated nor are the ground floor ceilings where there is no living space above. If I insulate these bits of ceiling with 300mm rockwool, and fit Celotex in between the stud wall timbers the temperature of these spaces will fall. Will that then cause a problem with the rafters that are completely filled with rockwool or will the existing ventilation be sufficient?

4. The downstairs room on the North of the house might be a candidate for dry-lining and insulating. Any info I should look at before going down this route? I'd be using a contractor but I'd like to be sure I know what is needed.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back