In support of BG !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Something I didn't expect to be writing, but a colleague at work recently (couple of weeks ago) had a very good experience with them.

Ideal Icos M3080 boiler had a failed PCB. After looking at options, he decided to get BG in on their fixed price repair. I had pre-warned hi to beware of the hard sell - you know, the "sorry mate, it's past it and needs replacing" type of thing.

He reported that the guy came, diagnosed the problem, ordered the parts, and came backa few days later. Oh yes, I'll mention that he's not yet living in the property as he's being 'doing it up' and making it into a right bachelor pad.
So new PCB fitted, new control knob, couple of brackets fitted to (vertical) flue. Pointed out that the condensate pipe should be lagged (it's in the garage), and the lagging that needs tidying on the water pipes. But no hint of a sell.

Mind you, from what my mate said, he was an independent, been in the job 30+ years, and a 'nice bloke'.

Sponsored Links
I'm sure there are, just like I'm sure there are in most organisations - and probably frustrated at management attempts to grind them down to a uniform, low, level.

So what do u do at British gas then?

Also most independants would have fixed it there and then by turning up with the part or going to get one locally.

Sponsored Links
So what do u do at British gas then?
I have nothing to do with them, and people who notice what I post will a) recognise that I'm not even in that industry, and b) I'm generally not shy of criticising them.

BTW - the system in question is a BG install done for the previous owners. About what you'd expect for a system done against the clock by people who have no expectation of ever being called back to it. Insulation on pipework in the garage thrown on in such a manner that it's now hanging off, condensate drain out onto the gravel where it'll be percolating down to attack the foundations, wired wrong, and for good measure the drain point didn't work (soldered with valve element in situ :rolleyes:).
Also most independants would have fixed it there and then by turning up with the part or going to get one locally.
Really ?
You'd turn up to an unknown fault with all the spares you might need ? And for perhaps half a dozen different boilers in a day ?
As as for getting the part same day locally, fat chance of that round here - especially considering it's a boiler that's not been sold for some time.

Really ?
You'd turn up to an unknown fault with all the spares you might need ? And for perhaps half a dozen different boilers in a day ?
As as for getting the part same day locally, fat chance of that round here - especially considering it's a boiler that's not been sold for some time.

Yeah, if I had all the parts to fix every boiler on my 6-10 repairs a day I would be driving an artic.....with my trainee following in a support artic.

I have service contracts with a local outfit for both my properties - BG advertise some very nice prices, but when you read the small print and have rented properties you find their contracts are considerably more.

I've had occasions when the local outfit have taken several days to get parts (18 year old Vokera). Having observed BG working on my parents boiler, while some of what I've seen leaves much to be desired, they do have an incredibly efficient parts supply system.

Yes not for all but for this boiler I'm pretty sure I could turn up with what I needed and if not I could get it straight away. Why is that so surprising?

If u have no connection to bg why come and post about some guy u know who had a good experience with them? Bit strange in my opinion but each to their own

Also "a boiler that's not been sold for a while" but breaks down alot. Are the parts that merchants have in stock.
I guarantee I could get any major part for that boiler same day within half an hour of my house

If u have no connection to bg why come and post about some guy u know who had a good experience with them? Bit strange in my opinion but each to their own
It's called balance - perhaps you've heard of it ? For most outfits, getting good service is the norm so it's not newsworthy. But given how much I've slagged off BG in the past (deservedly so IMO*), I felt it newsworthy to get (or see my mate getting) a good deal without the "scare a granny" style hard sell.

* Latest case in point. My parents have same boiler, installed by BG about 10 years ago. The last breakdown, on Christmas eve a year and a half ago (when you might remember that it was "rather chilly"), was directly as a result of their failure to do previous repairs and servicing properly. Luckily it had (temporarily) recovered after being off overnight and we have other means of heating the house and hot water so weren't left freezing and without hot water.

Wether you believe me or not, that's your choice and frankly I don't care.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back