Infilling between floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have about 8 or 10 loose and cracked 300x300mm floor tiles in my Kitchen. I am thinking about hacking these out, cleaning off the adhesive down to the concrete floor slab and infilling the space left in between the existing tiles and then laying some cushion floor over the entire floor to cover over the existing solid floor tiles and the infilled areas.

My question is, what material would I use to infill the spaces between the tiles which I am going to remove? The thickness is about 10mm. I would think that 10mm is too thin for sand and cement as this would crack but is it an option to apply latex self levelling floor screed, built-up in layers. Alternatively, is there a product that I can buy which is specifically for such an application?

Sponsored Links
You can use cement powder tile adhesive but if you lay cushion floor over tiles, the tile pattern will show through in a short space of time. Why not leave the cracked tiles in place, lay some 3mm hardboard over the tiles & lay the cushion floor over that.

I can live with it if the tiles show through after a while as the cushion floor will probably only be a relatively temporary fix until I get around to renewing the Kitchen. I just want to tidy up the flooring and taking up the damaged tiles and infilling the gaps seemed the easiest and cheapest way to achieve this. Having looked again, the tiles and grouting are relatively flat and the tiles have a smooth face so it should not show through the cushion floor that much. Thanks for the suggestion though

Sponsored Links
On reflection, wouldn't tile adhesive be difficult to trowel off flat and smooth? Is there anything else I could consider using, which would be easier to level off and trowel up smooth?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back