Installing an outside tap - supply issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to put a tap in my garden. Problem is that all of our plumbing is at the front of the house and we live in a mid-terrace.

So, I'm assuming that the normal approach would be to take the supply from the loft where the cold main feeds one of the header tanks.

But, without having the pipe exit the building from the loft and then go down the external wall, I have no idea how to get the water to where it needs to be.

Plus, are there any regulations I need to be aware of?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Put it at the front of the house and buy a longer hose. You can get them up to about 50mtrs which is far cheaper than trying to site the tap where there is no plumbing available.

Running a cold main supply down an external wall from a loft is a very bad idea for all number of reasons,mainly frost however.

Front of the house is very accessible to the local chavs, which concerns me. Plus, I'm concerned about running the hose through the house - leaks when in use, leaks when rolling up, kids tripping over it etc.

It seems no matter how hard you try and how much thought you put into it, you can't stop water dripping where you don't want it to!

Are the indoor tap hose connectors any good?

Front of the house is very accessible to the local chavs, which concerns me. Plus, I'm concerned about running the hose through the house - leaks when in use, leaks when rolling up, kids tripping over it etc.

It seems no matter how hard you try and how much thought you put into it, you can't stop water dripping where you don't want it to!

Are the indoor tap hose connectors any good?

If you ensure you have an isolating valve for the tap inside the house then simply turn that off when the OT is not in use.

The indoor tap hose connector will do the tap you connect the hose to damage,probably ruin it.

There's no easy answer I'm afraid other than doing what you orginally suggested or running a main internally to the rear of the property which will be considerably more expensive than a hose reel.

Sponsored Links
Well, that's that then.

I wouldn't have liked the appearance of the pipe running down the wall, and I'd have been concerned about leaks - hadn't even thought of frost issues but that would also be a concern.

So, I need an outdoor tap like this - http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=hose+tap

And an isolating valve - http://www.toolstation.com/messages.html?code=67155&mainWin=1

or http://www.toolstation.com/messages.html?code=49187&mainWin=1

Is it an easy job?

1. Shut off water main at stop cock under sink
2. Drain water from pipe
3. Cut pipe to fit a T
4. Fit isolating valve
5. drill through wall to route pipe to feed tap (flexi pipe, or copper?)
6. Fit tap
7. Turn on water main, and check for leaks

I believe there is a post in the FAQ section of how to fit an outside tap. Or just google the subject. It is an easy job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back