Intermittent Boiler- Short firing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boiler type: Thorn EMI- Apollo
Problem: The temperature of the house is below the temperature set by the thermostat- so, naturally, the boiler comes on. However; the boiler only fires for ~5 seconds, turns off, waits for ~1min, and then fires up again. This process is repeated until the temperature on the thermostat is reached- which, because of the intermittent firing, takes rather a long time.
Does anybody know why this may be occurring?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes, sorry. I don't know much about plumbing. What sort of info do you need to know?

anything done to the system?
anything happened ?
timer settings altered?
pump running?
radiators all evenly warm?
any info that could be related really

Sponsored Links
I have been in the house 1 year, and I haven’t done anything to the system.

The timer is set correctly (the problem still persists when the timer is set to ‘continuous’).

All the radiators get hot, but because of the intermittent firing I don’t think they are getting as hot as they could be.

There is a pump (Grundfos UPS 15-50X18). It sounds like it is working, but I’m not really sure.

Thanks

is it the fanned flue model, if so I suspect the inner flue rotted causing contaminated air be sucked in and putting flames out.

I don’t know which model it is? It doesn’t say fanned flue on it. How will I know?

if you so much as suspect a possible flu problem, you should get an RGI in. pronto

look at the bit that goes through the wall, if it's a 10cm round one it's fanned, if its 30cm square it's not. Also if there is not a pilot liight (in the little window) it's a fan flue.

I can't see the pipe that goes in to the wall. But there is a pilot light. It remains on the whole time.

is this the one with the plastic aps on the fan module guys? these melt and the cork gasket shrinks on the aps. that would give this result. you need someone qualified to break the seal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back