Intermittent Radiator Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of weeks back I noticed all our radiators were cold even though the thermostat was set to max and the boiler was on and working, after a few hours they seemed to come back to life and got hot again without doing anything, they have since been ok and I've not had this problem again until 2 days ago when they we're cold again and the house was freezing, they then came on for a little bit and then yesterday they were cold again. They seem to get a little warm, but definately not hot and not heating the house up. The hot water is still working ok.

I've a 7 month old girl and so obviously can't leave her in the house like this, everyone I've rung can't come out until next week except for british gas who will come out today if I pay £36 a month for 12 months for their homecare plan, but if I want the one off callout for them then they won't come out til next week (which is completely taking the p*ss, especially as on their website they don't even have a plan that costs any more than £25 per month, and the one that covers the CH and radiators is only £11 a month)

Is there anything I can do, or any companies you could recommend to come out and fix it today? (I'm in Poole)

Sponsored Links
Br Gas are charging you extra because there is a known fault. I didn't fall for that one and didn't want to have to pay a large cancellation fee if we moved somewhere where we couldn't take the cover with us (it can't be transferred to a new owner) so waited the extra time only to be told the job (faulty motorised valve which might also be your problem) wouldtake more than an hr so wouldn't do it, so I wouldn't depend on them. Best of luck.

I agree it sounds like a motorised valve fault. If you have a 3 port mid position valve. With both HW and CH selected, try running some hot water off. This will create a demand for HW along with CH and with the valve in the middle position, your radiators should get hot.
This situation will not last long because the HW will soon become satisfied again but it will prove the motorised valve is the cause.
The problem is most likely to be the motor or a micro switch within the actuator head. Replacement heads for some valves are available from around £40 to £50.
:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Br Gas are charging you extra because there is a known fault.

why shouldnt they?

I didn't fall for that one and didn't want to have to pay a large cancellation fee if we moved somewhere where we couldn't take the cover with us (it can't be transferred to a new owner

it can be transferred between homes though which is what you wanted to do :confused: a new owner would obviously have to set up their own direct debit :confused: [/b]

If we moved into a flat where there was a communal boiler or somewhere where there was oil fired heating or off peak electricity, we wouldn't have been able to take it with us and we were told it couldn't be taken over by a new owner who wd have to take out his own contract and we wd still have to pay a penalty.

If we moved into a flat where there was a communal boiler or somewhere where there was oil fired heating or off peak electricity, we wouldn't have been able to take it with us and we were told it couldn't be taken over by a new owner who wd have to take out his own contract and we wd still have to pay a penalty.

well duh! stating the obvious a bit there. it would only be a real problem if you were planning to move in very near future :confused:

of course a new owner would have to take out a new contract :confused:

what was the penalty ooi?

At that time, we were expecting to move by the end of March. Beginning to look less likely now but could still happen. The penalty was a significant amount of money; can't remember precisely how much but I think it was over £200, enough to make it a no no, anyway.

At that time, we were expecting to move by the end of March. Beginning to look less likely now but could still happen. The penalty was a significant amount of money; can't remember precisely how much but I think it was over £200, enough to make it a no no, anyway.

certainly not a trifling amount.

i can see your reasoning for not taking the contract but still think you are a little naive about it.

I agree it sounds like a motorised valve fault. If you have a 3 port mid position valve. With both HW and CH selected, try running some hot water off. This will create a demand for HW along with CH and with the valve in the middle position, your radiators should get hot.
This situation will not last long because the HW will soon become satisfied again but it will prove the motorised valve is the cause.
The problem is most likely to be the motor or a micro switch within the actuator head. Replacement heads for some valves are available from around £40 to £50.

After a bit more time to look into this this weekend I've discovered that the gas isn't firing up for the CH, but it is firing up for the HW, when the boiler should be on for the CH it is doing something as I can hear it, but its just not firing up. Does this sound like the motorised valve as you've suggested?

The boiler is a worcester-bosch 350.

Thanks

Yes! The actuator may not be moving fully across to the CH only position.
In which case it can't trigger the micro switch which sends power out from the orange wire to light the boiler. Or it may that the micro switch is faulty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back