Is a powerflush required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Apologies for any misunderstandings: very little plumbing experience. I recently had my first service in my first home. The boiler is a 16 year old Worcester. The British Gas engineer who came out for its first service since I bought the house removed a lot of gunk from inside it. He suggested adding an inhibitor (Furnox F1) which he would come back and put into a radiator for £42 as the water inside the system looked a bit dark/smelly and had some bits in it.

I asked if it required any other follow up like a power flush or a filter installing to which he said no there's no need. Should I get a second opinion?

On the feedback sheet there is a box that says "magnetic system filter checked" to which he put no but ticked "advice given". I'm just wondering if the advice of not needing one is valid or if he was in a rush to get away?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
well done you are one of the very few that hasnt been advised to have a powerlush which you do not need

How does the system perform? Do your radiators heat up evenly without cold spots? If it works ok, the most you are likely to need is a chemical flush, the system draining and refilling with inhibitor added. A magnetic filter wouldn't be a bad idea and can added whilst the system is drained.

The British Gas engineer who came out for its first service since I bought the house removed a lot of gunk from inside it.

Many thanks

From where did this "gunk" emenate? A BG "service" does not include draining any water. Was it a service or repair? It may have been from the condensate trap, but the "generic" service does not even include trap removal. Was it dirty water, or solid matter?

Sponsored Links
From where did this "gunk" emenate? A BG "service" does not include draining any water. Was it a service or repair? It may have been from the condensate trap, but the "generic" service does not even include trap removal. Was it dirty water, or solid matter?
Of our 7 or 8 annual services, about half have drained a small amount of water from a drain point rad valve, and every one since having a magnetic filter fitted have drained the filter.

How does the system perform? Do your radiators heat up evenly without cold spots? If it works ok, the most you are likely to need is a chemical flush, the system draining and refilling with inhibitor added. A magnetic filter wouldn't be a bad idea and can added whilst the system is drained.

Seems okay but I need to thoroughly inspect the radiators for cold spots.

It was the initial service and inspection of the boiler. A seal was replaced. They opened a valve below the boiler. The water was brownish but still translucent with tiny black flecks in it and he said it smelt a bit too. The boiler itself was full of damp grey gritty matter clumped together much of which I had to gorge from the bathroom sink.
He said it just requires Furnox F1 in a radiator (none on the van and would need to be booked as a separate job anyway). I asked about adding a filter but he suggested it wasn't worth it but he ticked a box on the feedback sheet saying advice given on filter (but did not expand on the comments box).

Of our 7 or 8 annual services, about half have drained a small amount of water from a drain point rad valve, and every one since having a magnetic filter fitted have drained the filter.
Did BG fit your filter? If so how much if you don't mind me asking?

Did BG fit your filter? If so how much if you don't mind me asking?
We paid an extortionate price for a powerflush from Scottish Gas, including fitting the magnetic filter. Our reasons were that our system was bad with really black water, a valve was completely stuck by crud, most rads were hardly heating up, and a couple not working at all. We thought floorboards might need to be lifted to gain access to manifolds or renew pipes etc. The SG quote included everything to get the system working properly, including lifting/reinstating floorboards if necessary, and is guaranteed indefinitely as long as we continue to have a maintenance contract with them. IIRC it was £660 (in 3 payments - one up front, one at 2 months, one at 4 months), but the OH remembers it being more. I could dig out paperwork and check if you want (but it'll be a few days).

Edit...I've checked - it was £719 over 3 payments.

Last edited:
Yep sounds about right, but if you dare cancel your maintenance contract with them , then no more warranty, a complete rip off but so many are bullied in to it , and like your good self fall for it

Yep sounds about right, but if you dare cancel your maintenance contract with them , then no more warranty, a complete rip off but so many are bullied in to it , and like your good self fall for it
I'm not sure why you say it's a rip off. Sure, their price is about double what a local plumber would charge, but includes everything needed to make the system work properly. There are plenty horror stories around regarding people forking out fortunes to local plumbers without actually getting their rads working, or stopping working shortly thereafter. It's a gamble we felt was worth the money.
Regarding the contract, we certainly weren't bullied into anything. We want to be able to contact someone if/when the heating or hot water goes faulty, and our annual service is included.
We reckon it'd cost £100 or more for an annual boiler service, so we're paying about another £100 per year for the maintenance aspect, including parts. What would it cost if our DHW cylinder sprung a leak?

I'm not sure why you say it's a rip off. Sure, their price is about double what a local plumber would charge, but includes everything needed to make the system work properly. There are plenty horror stories around regarding people forking out fortunes to local plumbers without actually getting their rads working, or stopping working shortly thereafter. It's a gamble we felt was worth the money.
Regarding the contract, we certainly weren't bullied into anything. We want to be able to contact someone if/when the heating or hot water goes faulty, and our annual service is included.
We reckon it'd cost £100 or more for an annual boiler service, so we're paying about another £100 per year for the maintenance aspect, including parts. What would it cost if our DHW cylinder sprung a leak?

Now add those extra £100 a year up...

Now add those extra £100 a year up...

Yes you're quite right. If we saved that money we could go out for a bar lunch every few months.

I understand the point about paying over the odds for the flush, and paying for an ongoing contract. However, what would it cost, for example, to call a plumber out to diagnose, say, a faulty pump, and fit a new one? Or even a faulty diverter valve or wall thermostat? Surely you can understand that the reasonably small outlay for a contract is worth it to some people, especially if they don't know people in the trade.

Until scottish gas tell you that your boiler is on THEIR reduced parts list then its a new boiler from them or no repair and no more warranty, Not BG bashing it is their business model and some very highly paid people to come out with these deals, the majority of their own engineers will agree in private, the engineers are forced to try and sell this stuff, I am EX BG and have worked for others and hated having to sell something that wasnt needed, some however love it and make a good bit of money out of it, they tend to be the newest and worst experienced engineers though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back