Is condensation causing this white mould in my loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved into our house in January of this year and the loft was fine at that point. Their is an upstairs shower room under an extension of the roof that has an inline extractor fan leading to the outside. Their is space to get into the new roof space where the extractor fan and a couple of down lighters are.

Around a month after we moved in the extractor fan packed in and because their was so much going on I never got around to fixing it. I have always noticed condensation on all the upstairs windows in the morning when we get up even before the extractor fan packed in.

Their has been no problems over the summer.

Since the cold weather has hit us I noticed the loft ceilings kind of damp in a few places and checked to see if their was any loose tiles - there do not seem to be any.

I have now fitted a new extractor fan which sooks out all the hot steam from the shower (even inside the old extractor fan where the wires went in it was pretty wet) and it is working fine.

However their must have been a lot of hot steam going up their and possible still some through the downlighters as their is no insulation over it.

So essentially is my problem still the condensation or something else?

An older women had the house before us who was not in a lot meanwhile we are a fully fledged family with washing and cooking on the go constantly.

djppEfI.jpg

1CuHoMW.jpg

LGWBdDh.jpg

Also my loft is fairly full of stuff and I notice the mould is worse around the areas with the most stuff but is certainly spread out across the whole roof space but just not as bad.

Many thanks[/img]

Sponsored Links
I had a similar problem after I insulated the loft with condensation, I put in some extra ventilation and it seems to have stopped it.

Condensation, more ventilation and look at stopping internal moisture getting up into the loft.

However their must have been a lot of hot steam going up their and possible still some through the downlighters as their is no insulation over it.

The lights in the bathroom should be sealed against air passage.

If not, then don't cover them with insulation. Insulation will make them overheat and doesn't stop moisture laden air passing through.

Either purchase a loft cap, which is sealed in place over the light, or make one from plasterboard, and then insulate over that, being careful to manage heat (LED lights will produce much less heat than standard bulbs).

So I am correct in thinking this looks like condensation issues and not that my roof is about to cave in ?

I think it has got worse over the last few weeks but guess what, I have been using a steamer every night to strip wood chip from the walls so I guess that has not helped.

I have just been up again and it does seem ventilated, there is the odd bit of draught as it is a windy day!

Am I right in thinking it would take a good while to dry out if water has been going up their so long -8 months !

I am going to buy some covers for the two down lighters !

Sponsored Links
Yes condensation, As said stop steam getting into the loft. I doubt it will go away might have to clean it off but should stop it happening again.
Don't worry it doesn't look like dry rot you can sleep safe :D

PS not sure what the lining material is you might have to be careful about cleaning off looks almost like plasterboard but I wouldn't expect it to be, a remote chance of asbestos (leave alone) I suppose, but usually some kind of fabric that might not stand up to cleaning too well.

I wouldn't have thought so in traditional houses where the tiles are above it but I might be talking out of the wrong orifice ;)
Hopefully some roofer type chaps can advise better. :D

Must be something else then - to be honest I am not sure what materials are used for lofts !

aliferste, Hi

The "Sarking" appears to be plasterboard, this material in this position is NOT un-common, but mainly found in in property built by Local Authorities, I have inspected properties in North and South Lanarkshire, areas of Glasgow especially the 60s housing estates and the use of plasterboard is common, it appears to have been used to cut costs. IMO a real cheap jack option?

Remedy? install ventilation tiles in the roof slopes, or, if the property has perimeter ventilation, generally a thin wire mesh at soffit level, or circular vents cut into the Soffit? and if poss. install ridge vents. if possible up the Insulation at ceiling level, and seal off the Down lighters as previously advised.

Make sure that the Shower room fan, is venting to atmosphere, and not into the roof void. also ensure that the extract fan runs on after the light is switched off.

If possible fit an extract fan over the Cooker with the extract venting to atmosphere not just re-circulating into the kitchen, the name of this game is to get rid of as much warm saturated air out of the property

Cor lummie guvnor we don't see niffink like that down 'ere in th Saff East! ;)

Many thanks for all your replies I really appreciate it.

Last question - what do I do about the white mould? Do I scrape it off or something?

Hi Guys.

Unfortunately, a load of generally Labour controlled Local Authorities back in the day, up here used this form of roof construction to I suppose best described as cost cutting in the design and construction of the roof. I have often shuddered at the prospect of a roofer fixing the battens, counter battens and tile on a plasterboard clad roof?

I have also seen Foil backed Plasterboard used, the Foil side facing into the loft space. Another type of Sarking used is / was Cellotex that dreaded soft board about 12.5. MM thick and it is / was flammable?

As for getting rid of the mould? I would wait until the warmer weather and use a very, VERY soft brush to get rid of the mould, If you try to get rid of the mould now when the Plasterboard is damp / wet then there is a chance that you could bruise or break the paper on the Plasterboard with a result you don't want?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back