Is Floplast solvent weld stuff just re-branded Polypipe ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I bought some Polypipe 40mm solvent weld waste pipe and bends today from a local plumbers merchant to re-plumb our bathroom.

I got all the pipe and bends that I needed apart from a 40mm 92.5 degree swept bend (he was out of stock).

The Polypipe part number for the bend I required was WS14.

So I got home and googled WS14 and I found that WS14 is also the part number of a 92.5 degree swept bend in the Floplast solvent weld range. Most of the other solvent weld part numbers match up as well. Is this just a coincidence, surely not?

Sponsored Links
Probably all made in the same factory and Floplast license their brand name onto stuff designed and made by others, common in the UK.

Probably all made in the same factory and Floplast license their brand name onto stuff designed and made by others, common in the UK.

That's just what I was thinking. However I'm not so sure now.

It might all be just a coincidence after all, because on closer inspection

A Floplast WS14 is actually a 32mm 92.5 degree swept bend.

whereas

A Polypipe WS14 is a 40mm 92.5 degree swept bend.

Sponsored Links
I doubt the 5 most popular brands in the UK market all have separate manufacturing and design facilities, put it that way

Polypipe, Osma, Hepworth, Marley, Hunter and Floplast all have their own extrusion and moulding facilities. A good example of this is their square gutter profiles, they are NOT interchangeable.

However some products that are "slow movers" and have high tooling costs, are "shared" across the brands.

This is quite rare though. And applies more to Below Ground Drainage products

Polypipe, Osma, Hepworth, Marley, Hunter and Floplast all have their own extrusion and moulding facilities. A good example of this is their square gutter profiles, they are NOT interchangeable.

However some products that are "slow movers" and have high tooling costs, are "shared" across the brands.

Osma & Hepworth are Wavin, and a pile of poh!!! Though an English product Marley is an excellent producer of plastic products, only surpassed by McAlpine, which is a world leader in small Plumbing plastic products & made in Scotland of course.

Osma & Hepworth are Wavin, and a pile of poh!!! Though an English product Marley is an excellent producer of plastic products, only surpassed by McAlpine, which is a world leader in small Plumbing plastic products & made in Scotland of course.

Thought the OP was talking about waste pipe and fittings not traps and the like.

As for your quotes on quality, I doubt very much that you are a "Real" plumber if you think the Wavin products are of a lesser quality than the others mentioned, typical Jock, "cheap must be best" mentality

Well Sandy, your Plumbing knowledge is limited, as McAlpine make waste fittings & Marley is much superior to Wavin, whose soil fittings will smash if dropped, as is also the case with their waste fittings. However, thank you for your limited input, which is remarkable given the size of your brain.

I find you calling me a 'Jock' as a racist remark, aimed at a member of a superior race living in God's country.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back