Is it CE or not CE? = Are you alright, my old China.

Sponsored Links
As I understand it, it is a totally 'self-policing' system - the CE mark being put on a product (by a manufacturer) to indicate that the product complies with all the relevant EU Standards/Regulations.
Unlike the UL (Underwriters Laboratories) listing here, which requires that samples be tested by UL to confirm compliance with safety standards.
That's nearer to the Kitemark system, but UL will accept manufacturer's testing under certain circumstances.

Not wanting to unearth the "Chinese products" are not safe debacle. I thought it may be worth posting the following.
CE-and-China-Export.jpg

In recent years we’ve got used to the fact that if a product bears CE mark, it is safe. The reason for this assumption is the goods’ compliance with EU standards. Unfortunately, there exists a much similar mark which the majority of consumers and even sellers understand as CE mark of the European Union. However, this mark symbolizes something quite different.

What’s behind China Export marking?

This mark means that the product was manufactured in China, and means “China Export”. This similarity is not a chance coincidence. It expresses the aggressive approach and is used to confuse European consumers.

The China Export mark is not registered, it does NOT confirm positive test results and is placed by Chinese manufacturers arbitrarily.

In recent years we’ve got used to the fact that if a product bears CE mark, it is safe.

I've never considered that mark as suggestion the product is "safe" It simply means the product may be sold in the various EU countries by implying it meets the 'compliance standards' within the country of sale.

Sponsored Links
Not wanting to unearth the "Chinese products" are not safe debacle. I thought it may be worth posting the following.
CE-and-China-Export.jpg

In recent years we’ve got used to the fact that if a product bears CE mark, it is safe. The reason for this assumption is the goods’ compliance with EU standards. Unfortunately, there exists a much similar mark which the majority of consumers and even sellers understand as CE mark of the European Union. However, this mark symbolizes something quite different.

What’s behind China Export marking?

This mark means that the product was manufactured in China, and means “China Export”. This similarity is not a chance coincidence. It expresses the aggressive approach and is used to confuse European consumers.

The China Export mark is not registered, it does NOT confirm positive test results and is placed by Chinese manufacturers arbitrarily.
Indeed he did.

And your point is?

I know of UK manufacturers of electronic goods that'd apply CE stickers with no form of approval whatsoever. You can buy the stickers from places like RS.
They don't need approval. It's a declaration by the manufacturer.

The company putting the item on the market must be able to show compliance, either with a test report or a technical construction file (TCF) signed off by a recognised test house. There is no other way to prove compliance in a court of law.

I know of UK manufacturers of electronic goods that'd apply CE stickers with no form of approval whatsoever. You can buy the stickers from places like RS.
They don't need approval. It's a declaration by the manufacturer.

The company putting the item on the market must be able to show compliance, either with a test report or a technical construction file (TCF) signed off by a recognised test house. There is no other way to prove compliance in a court of law.
Not correct. A manufacturer may use test reports to support his claim of compliance, but he does not need to involve any third party. Test houses do not like to admit that.

In recent years we’ve got used to the fact that if a product bears CE mark, it is safe.

I've never considered that mark as suggestion the product is "safe" It simply means the product may be sold in the various EU countries by implying it meets the 'compliance standards' within the country of sale.
Nearly! It does not depend on compliance with standards, it means the manufacturer claims it meets the essential requirements of all the applicable EU Directives. They would usually use Harmonised Standards to gain a presumption of conformity, but can use the Directives directly.

We used to joke that it stood for "Confusion Everywhere". When the EMC Directive came out that became "Even More Confusion".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back