Is my boiler on the way out (noise) video.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
As above. I suspect I know the answer but could some of you kind and knowledgeable chaps please listen to the noise and confirm my suspicions. It’s a 26 year old Potterton profile. Working fine but I’m getting a rattling noise when it’s running. I can also 'feel' the noise through the casing. I suspect it’s the fan making the noise. Can anyone confirm this? If so, is replacing the fan a diy job or is it a job for a gas safe fitter only and is it even worth replacing the fan on a boiler this old? I’ve replaced the circuit board three times since it was fitted, the last being two winters ago and that’s all that’s gone wrong with it. Oh, just remembered, I had a couple of valves replaced just after the conversion. Overheat valve maybe? I can’t remember now. I vowed that the next time it went wrong, I’d consider changing it. I reckon I could be at that point now! What do you say?

Next question and I know I’m going to get different answers, but if it needs replacing what model should I replace it with? It’s a heat only boiler and 18 months ago we had the whole system updated (apart from the boiler as it was fine at the time). I had it converted to a sealed system with an unvented hot water cylinder, new diverter valves, electronic thermostat and controller, power flush and a service. The pump was only replaced by myself just a few months before that work. I replaced three rads myself as two leaked not long after the conversion and all three were the original 50+ year rads. They said not to bother with a mag filter until I change the boiler. So I’m thinking new boiler, mag filter and obviously run a condensate pipe. Any rough ideas what I am likely to pay for that (I know, I know, piece of string and all that). I know very little about boilers but am I right in thinking that a stainless steel heat exchanger is better than an aluminium one with regards to lifespan? Are Vaillant any good? I’ve heard Intergas mentioned but looking on line, the only heat only boilers they do are for vented systems.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Blimey, there’s normally plenty of answers on here. Are all the plumbers on a half-term break?:D

"I know very little about boilers "

Really!..Has not stopped you taking them to bits !!

Well you probably 'know very little about cars' but I bet you’ve done a few jobs on them. Hardly qualifies you as a motor technician. I changed the PCB a couple of times as it wasn’t firing and that hardly qualifies me as a boiler expert - changing a boiler pcb is not exactly rocket science!

Anyway, thanks for your advice on the boiler. Oh wait, there was no advice on the boiler, you just felt the need to come on and make a sarcastic comment. You must have plenty of time on your hands.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Changing the fan is a job for a RGI as its part of the flue, even removing the case requires you to be GS Registered as it forms part of the balanced compartment.

Thanks. I suspected as much. Anyway, I’ve decided now that after 26 years it’s time for a new one so I’ll run it until it packs up and if it doesn’t, I'll get it replaced well in time for next winter. Just got to decide on a suitable replacement!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back