Is this a new circut or a spur?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I've had a quick look at the Part P sticky but I'm still confused!

We had an integral garage converted to a home cinema room, I have been getting this guy who is a qualified electrician to do the electric work, he is fully qualified and knows how fussy I am so he does a really good job.

Anyway, we have had two double sockets and a single socket fitted. The consumer unit didn't have any spare fuseways so they were wired into existing ones which are used for upstairs / downstairs sockets (I think).

Is this classified as a new ring or a modification to an existing one?

Help!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Adding sockets to existing ring, integral garage not notifiable.
He must test and issue a minor works certificate fore the work done.

Sponsored Links
Right, but the problem is I can't contact him any more...

I had his mobile number but I think he has a new one now and I don't have a home number for him.

What if someone was to issue an electrical safety certificate? Would this be sufficient?

Also, does what he's done sound like a good job?

I mean, the consumer unit was in the garage anyway. It seemed to be the most straightforward method.

Cheers guys. This is really sorting things out in my head! :oops:

Ste7en said:
Hi.

he is fully qualified and knows how fussy I am so he does a really good job.

Then he should do a proper job and do the paperwork.

Just to let you know what can happen.
i had an estate agent phone me on friday. They are selling a house.
On the solicitors papers there is now a section re electrical work done. The vendor ticked the box and said that a light switch had been moved.
The buyer's solicitor has said that they need the minoworks cert to prove that the work had been carried out in accordance with the relavent regs.

There has been no cert issued. Exchange should have taken place last week and everything is on hold because of this.

They want me to issue a cert for the work but i can not (and will not) because i did not do the work.

Taylortwocities said:
Then he should do a proper job and do the paperwork.

Just to let you know what can happen.
i had an estate agent phone me on friday. They are selling a house.
On the solicitors papers there is now a section re electrical work done. The vendor ticked the box and said that a light switch had been moved.
The buyer's solicitor has said that they need the minoworks cert to prove that the work had been carried out in accordance with the relavent regs.

The thing is the solicitor has probably flagged this up as a matter of course, and probably hasn't discussed with his client whether or not he is bothered about a missing cert for a light switch move (and even if he is, I'm sure a PIR would make him feel at ease)

Put it this way, it cant be a massive issue, because how many houses in the land do you think has a full set of certs for all work done? ;)

EDIT typo

This is excellent news for the trade though, isn't it?

I did a PIR recently which resulted in the sale falling through, despite my covering letter explaining that the deficiencies were easy (and cheap) to remedy. It only really got an 'unsatisfactory' because of the lack of a means of earthing and I emphasised that this was common in the area and would be remedied fo free by the DNO. Still, it was enough to tip the balance.

Who knows, a few more of these, a spot of Super-Soaraway-Sun-style publicity and regulated domestic sparkin' could become quite lucrative. ;)

dingbat said:
I did a PIR recently which resulted in the sale falling through, despite my covering letter explaining that the deficiencies were easy (and cheap) to remedy.

Depends on the type of buyer doesn't it? If its someone who is looking for a place to live without any messing about, then thats going to be different from someone who wants to start changing things about.

Or they were looking for an excuse to themselves to pull out, because it wasn't really quite what they wanted, but they hadn't found what they wanted yet and it might take a good few months of solid looking to do so

Or the house next door is up for sale at a similar price with a satsisfactory PIR

etc, etc

One other thing, so this is a modification to an existing circut?

In layman's terms what is it? A spur? An extension?

I'm just trying to figure out the correct terminology.

Cheers!

Adam_151 said:
Depends on the type of buyer doesn't it? If its someone who is looking for a place to live without any messing about, then thats going to be different from someone who wants to start changing things about.
Or, the majority man-in-the-street, who knows nothing and is nervous of any issues raised.
Or they were looking for an excuse to themselves to pull out, because it wasn't really quite what they wanted, but they hadn't found what they wanted yet and it might take a good few months of solid looking to do so
There's one in every chain... just you wait! ;)

Until now, when it's come to domestic electrical safety, cost and decor have always had a far higher priority than safety. If valuers are more often recommending electrical inspections and solicitors are more and more concerned to cover their own ar$es by painting black pictures for their clients (when they can be bothered to communicate at all) this will be a far better way of spreading the word about Part P than any amount of advertising.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back