Issues getting hot water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Hope someone can help.
I just bought a house and seem to be having trouble with the hot water.
I have a 'Ferroli Optimax HE Plus 31C' Boiler and a DanFoss 5000Si Thermostat. (Manuals below)

I can't seem to get any hot water unless the central heating is on.
If the heating is on (either by schedule or manual override using the controls) I can get hot water ok.
If the heating is off, I cant get hot water.

The manual says there is 'Comfort Mode' where the water is kept hot awaiting someone turning a tap on or there is 'ECO Mode' which will take the cold water and heat it up on request.
I can't seem to activate Comfort or ECO mode as per the manual though... it just doesn't respond when you hit the ECO/Comfort button.

On page 5 of the manual, it says:
"The Domestic Hot Water heat demand (generated by the DHW flow sensor or due to a Comfort request) is indicated by
the flashing of the Hot Water symbol under the tap (part. 8 and 9 - fig. 1). The display indicates the actual Domestic Hot
Water temperature (part. 11 - fig. 1) and during domestic hot water off time the text “d1”."

The hot water symbol DOES appear when a hot water tap is opened but the water never seems to heat up.

Is anyone able to lend a hand?

Cheers.

Ferroli Manual:
http://www.ferroli.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2012/09/Optimax-HE-PLUS-31c-38c-Manual.pdf

Thermostat Manual:
http://www.consumers.randall.danfoss.co.uk/PCMPDF/TP5000Si+RF Easy User Guide.pdf

Sponsored Links
Do you get any fault numbers showing, eg A01 - F42? At a rough estimate I suspect the divertor valves function is suspect but you need someone to check it because the case has to be opened unless fault code can identify it.

Have you tried this:-The unit is equipped with a special internal device that ensures a high hot-water delivery speed and excellent user comfort.
When comfort mode is active the water in the boiler is maintained at a pre-determined temperature, which means
that hot water is available at the boiler outlet as soon as a tap is opened, ie with no waiting.
The user can turn the device off (ECO mode) by pressing economy/comfort button (part.7 - fig. 1).
In ECO mode the display shows the relevant symbol (part. 12 - fig. 1). To turn on COMFORT mode, press economy/
comfort button (part. 7 - fig. 1) again, the ECO symbol will vanish from the display.

If these action don't take place the PCB may be faulty.

cheers for the reply.

there are no error codes showing.
everything on the LCD display looks fine, it even shows the hot water symbol when you turn a tap on (the little drip coming from the tap icon on the lcd).

I tried the ECO / Comfort settings but the button seems non-responsive.
at the moment there is no ECO sign on the screen so I'm assuming it's in comfort mode.
If the button it pressed, nothing happens. I tried holding it in as well, also nothing.

All other buttons function correctly on the device.
I thought it wasn't responding possibly because it has a remote control device attached (Danfoss thermo).

any idea what this means?:

Domestic hot water mode
The Domestic Hot Water heat demand (generated by the DHW flow sensor or due to a Comfort request) is indicated by
the flashing of the Hot Water symbol under the tap (part. 8 and 9 - fig. 1). The display indicates the actual Domestic Hot
Water temperature (part. 11 - fig. 1) and during domestic hot water off time the text “d1”.

hot water off time?
there is no other reference to this setting in the manual.
either way. the water should be hot. whether its through eco mode or comfort, it should get hot eventually.
i dont understand why it is hot while the heating is active though...

Sponsored Links
Hot water off time means the manual has been badly translated. Hot water off time is when there is no call for hot water.

You've got a fault with the boiler which require s a gas safe engineer to rectify. Get someone in to check it over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back