ITS THAT GEM AGEN!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 14 year old GEM combi-dont laugh-its in good shape except DHW supply on off etc-cause (BGH) scaling of secondary heatex-
BGH will descale using sonic method but I can have it descaled using chemicals-its taken out and put in a chemical bath-BUT it may leak-drip when refitted -What should I do -is chem cleaning worth the risk?-
Are any spare parts available; and could another calorifier be fitted -different make of course-as a replacement
Please dont say scrap it-cheers!

Sponsored Links
There are not many GEM boilers left. Although I do still have one in our store!

There was one in West London but we decided that there were too many faults so it was replaced.

However, as you are in Hungary thats unusual because those boilers were imported and marketed into the UK for a year or two before the company went bust.

In the circumstances a new boiler is the best option. I dont even know what boilers they use in Hungary!

Tony

Many thanks for replying Agile-in fact reading your excellent answers to questions was one reason I havejoined DIYnot!
First -although I am at present living in Hungary my home -house -is in England and its there my GEM lives.

I did wonder however if you could give any answers to my questions-ie -is there a good chance of a chemical clean -possible scraping etc -producing a leak when refitted;-is a sonic clean any good?
and -could a different make of calorifier be fitted;
OK everyone says -get a new boiler-but the present one has/is working except for hot water for baths( and I have an instant shower)-why change-14 years is surely not old?
Thanks again -cheers!

A sonic clean is a BG idea and not greatly thought of by a BG engineer who explained it to me politely.

Its not that difficult to clean them. Search this forum for "cleaning a plate" to give you some ideas.

Its messy and needs the right chemicals!

Tony

Sponsored Links
The sonic clean works well most of the time and I've not heard of it holeing a heat exchange yet.

But how can it deal with a scaled up secondary?

When they are completely blocked it can take me a week to clean them!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back