Kitchen Fused Spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am not a qualified electrician

I have laid under floor heating (UFH) in my kitchen and have now tiled on top, and i now need to wire it in. The UFH came with a Thermostat, so i need to wire the wire into the thermo.

I was planning on running a 13A switched fused spur from an existing socket to power the UFH and the Thermostat.

as it is in the Kitchen does this need to be approved by an electrician to get a certificate if it does how do i do this?

cheers

Sponsored Links
In a special location (eg kitchen) the work must be done by the electrician who is notifying the work.

There's only two ways to do this

1. Get a registered electrician to do the work there's a list at www.competentperson.co.uk

or

2. You can do it yourself but you must notify the council BEFORE work starts and pay their fee. They will then come and check the work at various stages.

See //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law

There is no option for you to do the work and then 'persude' an electrician to lie and say he did the work himself.

for a small job like this I would take route 1.

PS are you aware of the regulations re underfloor heating?

The main ways of having electrical installation signed off are;
Either by using building controls, this means an application should be made prior to work starting and a fee is charged, they will inspect the work and if it complies to the relevant standards, issue the documents.
or
you can use an electrician that is registered with a domestic scheme provider, who will be able to self certificate to work.
Link of useful info;
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p

Sponsored Links
I am not a qualified electrician....as it is in the Kitchen does this need to be approved by an electrician to get a certificate if it does how do i do this?
You were told all about the fact that it was notifiable, and how you had to apply for approval in advance etc 8 months ago.

Why did you take no notice?

I have some underfloor heating (electrical) for my kitchen which i am planning on fitting myself
When you made your application for Building Regulations approval, what did you say would be the way you'd comply with P1?
Absolute silence from hanrahan.

I am fitting LV lights taken as a spur from a socket via a FCU with a 5amp fuse, (2.5M twin and earth) then from the FCU to a junction box via 1.5 MM T&E
Did you apply for Building Regulations approval?
Absolute silence from hanrahan.

I am not a qualified electrician....as it is in the Kitchen does this need to be approved by an electrician to get a certificate if it does how do i do this?
You were told all about the fact that it was notifiable, and how you had to apply for approval in advance etc 8 months ago.

Why did you take no notice?

hanrahan - you do realise that pretending that the law doesn't exist won't actually make it so, don't you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back