Knocking seperate loo and bathroom into one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thought I'd share some pictures of my first 'major' project in the house.

First house, moved in in the spring of this year - ex council, no-fines (concrete) construction. So far have gutted and redecorated lounge, dining room and main bedroom. All fairly cosmetic stuff - plaster over artex, fill, paint, new carpet, etc.

So on to tackle the small and dingy bathroom. Plan is - knock the seperate loo and bath into one. Relocate loo onto the other side of the room (including branch off soil stack), new stud wall, plaster all round, paint, tiles, new suite.

A work in progress - so far:

before:

during:

after:

I think I now know what happened to all those unemployed pillbox builders after the war - they went on to build council houses! For a non load bearing interior wall, it put up a fair fight! At least it seemed that way to me. Those aren't breezeblocks - they're cinder/concrete.
Plenty of SDS chisel and persuasion with the club hammer needed.

Next steps:

Core drill through the concrete exterior wall, avoiding the (steel) mains riser which passes next to where the new soil pipe will exit. Hope to get away without having to replace that steel pipe. Will be interesting to see if the cheapish (erbauer) diamond core bit I got will be up to it.

Then (and in one day as its the only loo), add branch to soil stack, and install new loo in its new place, and get rid of the rest of the wall.

Sponsored Links
Just be careful with the infill panel at the top of the door in the wall you are removing, certainly on a lot of commerial buildings they used asbestos insulation board for it as it needed to act as a fire break, as this is domestic then it didn't *need* fire stopping properties, but there is still a chance that its abestos, as it was cheap and available!

wet the walls and keep them wet, open the windows and use a good dust mask, not the cheap paper things, one with a filter...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back