Lap joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think thats what they're called.
I am making some gates for my drive. Each just over 1m wide by 6' tall.
I am using 50 x 100 rebated door frame timber and additional bracing shaped like a Z. Tongue and groove will then sit in the rebate and frame.
Anyway about the lap joint. To make the initial frame from the door frame sections I am thinking of lap joining the corners and then glue them and pin them.
My question is will this do, do you think?
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Instead of pins, use these non-rust exterior screws & pre-dill the holes and also use it for screwing the T&G to the brace as well plus glue all the joints will give you trouble-free door movement. The rebate does looks nice but I don't bother because I feel it's water trapped soaking up the end grains, I just make a frame and screw the T&G on top of it. The choice is yours though. If you can, make a little roof on top to keep the rain off it.
generic_screw.jpg

gate_3.gif

Also make sure the Z brace is fitted correctly on the hanging side (see drawing)
gate_4.gif

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back