Larder beetle eradication

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a property that I have had to eradicate larder beetles from twice within the space of a year.
Place was sprayed throughrly each time, absolutely everywhere with
0.1% cypermethrin
http://www.lesterbirdandpest.co.uk/product/insectaclear-c-0-1-cypermethrin/ (sometimes this is called "Protector-C")
I think they are in the building / street / area and so are quite difficult to eradicate.

Anyone any ideas about how better to get a more permanent insecticide down to do a more permanent job.

(Each of the two spraying cycles mentioned above was in fact 3 sprays each. This is necessary to break the hatching cycle. So I did 6 sprays last year. This is too much. I need a better solution)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have a property

Do you mean that you own it and rent it out?

How is the food being stored?

Are there pets? Children? Babies?

House or flat?

Terraced?

HMO?

What type of flooring, and what is its condition? (especially under the kitchen units and appliances)

What is the standard of cleanliness?

Do you mean that you own it and rent it out?

How is the food being stored?

Are there pets? Children? Babies?

House or flat?

Terraced?

HMO?

What type of flooring, and what is its condition? (especially under the kitchen units and appliances)

What is the standard of cleanliness?

I own it and rent it out.
It's a flat in a block of six.
It's a first floor flat so there is a flat above and a flat below.
There have been no pets and no children in the flat.
Tenants are students who complain about beetles but leave pizza boxes - with associated significant food residue - on the floor in the kitchen for a week before removal.
It is an HMO.

Further insights welcome

leave pizza boxes on the floor in the kitchen for a week before removal.

You're doomed, then.

There are sprays that leave a film on hard surfaces, such as the inside of cabinets, and hard flooring, which poison insects through their feet.

Dethlac for example, but others called "ant and crawling insect killer"

You have to clean thoroughly before applying, and re-apply after cleaning the surface. It will work well on the floors and surfaces under and behind kitchen units and appliances.

Perhaps you should include weekly attendance by a cleaner to swab the floors and reapply the spray, and vacuum up the crumbs.

Sponsored Links
0.1% cypermethrin Protector C spray works by being picked up by their feet. It irritates their feet they then eat it off their feet and it kills them.
It works very well, it's just that I have to make sure it is *every where*, and it has to be done on 3 different occasions, each time 7 - 10 days apart to break the hatching cycle. Last year this whole three cycle process was done twice. Six seperate spray days. It was exausting.

Have you tried this:
Residex P dusting powder which contains 0.5% Permethrin https://ratpak.co.uk/residex-p-dusting-powder
I was hoping to give it a go and it seems a bit stronger than the spray and I feel it could be
  • fed into cracks and crevices and
  • placed behind kicking board in kitchen,
  • under oven, a favourite hatching area, and
  • under fridge freezer, another favourite hatching area.
problem is next tenants have a dog and he would undoutedly lick it up, or may be not. The risk is the dog might.

As well as the above I phoned Hygiene Supplies Direct this afternoon and they recommended
Boppren https://www.hygienesuppliesdirect.com/products/prod225399-biopren-bed-bug-killer-1-litre
as an insect killer and growth inhibitor. Have you any experience with that?

Last edited:
Back