Lawn Sand

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a very mossy lawn! I have just put Lawn sand down and my garden looks terrible. The lawn sand has obviously done its job and turned it all black. Do I now have to rake out the moss or leave it be and hope for grass to grow back? Or can I just throw some grass seed down? I am not sure if by raking it out - firstly if it will spread it further or if I will end up with a completely bare patch!

Many thanks for any help!
kind regards

Dawnyanne

Sponsored Links
You will need to rake it out Dawn, but dont rake across rest of lawn.
Place into bags or a box and tip at local refuge dump, dont put on you compost.

Feed and seed these patches. next years lawn will be your neighbours envy ;)

Thank you so much for your help clf-gas!

I will get raking and seeding! If the rain ever stops!! he he!

Thanks again

yea don't be afraid to rake it hard, i have done lawns in the past that look awful for a month but you'll get the benefit of it before too long, keep on top of it though!

Sponsored Links
Hire a scarifier, the raking's a killer. You will do a few feet and give up. Lawn sand is expensive, as the moss will be back next year. Get 25kg of agricultural lime and put it on in the autumn. That will make it less pleasant for the moss. Cut it longer in the summer; shaving a lawn makes the grass weak, and the moss takes over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back