Leak detection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,
I wonder if anyone can help, I havee been called into a job where they have a leak under the floor on the ground floor, the problem is they have just had oak flooring and Yorkstone floor put down and obviosly do not want this ripped up. I am pretty sure I have seen a tool that can detect a leak within a meter (or less) but cant think where I have seen it (I am not talking about a damp detector) Can anyone help me out on this??
Thanks

V

Sponsored Links
does it t off anywhere before it gets buried? cut n cap it so what bit of pipe its on. if its under the floor just have to re pipe itelse where.

Dear all,
I wonder if anyone can help, I havee been called into a job where they have a leak under the floor on the ground floor, the problem is they have just had oak flooring and Yorkstone floor put down and obviosly do not want this ripped up. I am pretty sure I have seen a tool that can detect a leak within a meter (or less) but cant think where I have seen it (I am not talking about a damp detector) Can anyone help me out on this??
Thanks

V

ive seen a company that use a thermal imaging camera to detect the heat also ive hired a listerning device that can here the drips
try a hire shop

Sponsored Links
I've seen the water board use a small portable machine. Basically you need access to one end of the pipe. They then inserted a clear plastic tube with a rubber bung that inflates when pumped up from the access point. (Just like the thing you insert into the artery/vein and blow up the end to stop/clear blood clots :confused: ) You push this along the pipe to where you think you have the problem, pump it up effectively sealing pipe that end, you then seal the access end with the aid of this machine and then pump air into the now sealed (both ends) part of the pipe, if the pressure drops you know it is leaking in this section, it doesn't take long to retract the plastic tube a little, re pressure and test again. eventually you can locate the leak. When found, you pull out the plastic catheter like thing (just remembered what it's called) taking care to mark on the plastic pipe the distance inserted, lay that out and this will give you a good indication of where the leak is.

I wish I hadn't started this explanation now :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back